3M S80Sh8 Clarl Job (8Mil Clear)

So we will be working with known/pre-measured sizes of reasonable consistancy.

A Dow Cornig 995 attachment will be used by sub-contracted personell. 3000 linear feet.

In the intrest of efficiency and minimal disruption of occupants, what stragegies do you all use to transport pre-cut pieces of thicker safety and security films?

Wondering about:

1) durability of the 3M scratch coat on this product? (you can PM me to protect the brand)

SS Films more generally: Can numerous 22 x 46 pre-cut pieces be left flat, and gently be placed in a card board envelope like PPG ships replacement auto glass and Truck rear windows in?

Or placed flat in a just big enough carboard box?

2) Rolling liner-out for numerous 46 x 56. Tunneling issues @ perhaps 3" roll size for 24- 48 hours prior to install? I've rolled lots of 5mil Hanita Film without any tunneling issues in the short term.

Due to time of day access restrictions on our work day, and the fact it is a prevailing wage job, we'd like to make minimal use of the Film Handler on-site so I'm looking "Best Practices" to transport some/most as pre-cuts.

Also it is going on tempered IG units that are Bronze not reflective "batch" (tinted O.E.M.)

I'm thinking this will mean the glass will actually be more absorbent/hotter and actually help drying time.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tint whisperer

we have problems when you roll up the loose roll, the inside edge will scratch the inside of the roll...if you get what I mean.

We put painters tape gently on the exposed edges to prevent the film from scratching itself.

We have also layered drop clothes between larger pieces and rolled them up in a large sheet like roll.

We have also used cardboard sleeves.

When pre-rolling, we will roll loosely so the liner is on the outside, reducing tunnelling and then adjust on site.

:twocents

Adding to the above, be sure you roll in the machine direction and keep the total inner (film layers) diameter in excess of three inches. I usually transport in the same top and bottom film box without taping the rolled film; it will expand to the box sides once set inside.

Try this, as you cut the film from the film handler roll it on to a film core with the liner side out and place a piece of tape in the center of the film.

014-4-1.jpg

So when you start to roll it on to the core you can line the first wrap around to keep the piece's strait as you roll them.

012-5-1.jpg

Then just keep adding each piece to the core, this will keep them clean and easy to pull out of the box one at a time on the job site.

013-6-2.jpg

Thanks all.

Anyone know if the current generation of Film Handler "shims" will fit over the Red 3M tube/core (3inch) ?

The ones I have stopped working on Hanita's, and know I learn also 3M have sourced larger cores.

Patric Zola Tools?

vzla-tint and VClimber I don't mind getting schooled from.

My guess is that safety is the primary concern with vzla-tint. If any adhesion advantage could be gained even of it was 8%, it would be worth capturing if your clients are as his...because with liner in the film curls toward the glass.

Archived