First Vette - 91 C4

Porsche951

Did my first Vette today. Owner told me 1 shop said it was too hard, another was booked ahead for a month, and he had a "reputable mobile tinter" come by earlier this week, worked on it for 2 hours and gave up without laying any tint on the inside whatsoever. Overall I didn't think it was too bad, seamed on first defroster and 3 pieced it (didn't even try one piece, probably should have) Removed struts and latch and let them dry pretty good before putting them back on. Suntek Carbon 35

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture004.jpg

I have had 6 or 7 C4s. The last one was a 1996 Grand Sport. I should have kept it but the wife hated it because it was a 6spd. Prolly tinted 100 of them. Always 5 pc on the rear. The hardest part is climbing in the back to cut the overlaps.

I have had 6 or 7 C4s. The last one was a 1996 Grand Sport. I should have kept it but the wife hated it because it was a 6spd. Prolly tinted 100 of them. Always 5 pc on the rear. The hardest part is climbing in the back to cut the overlaps.

Try cutting one from the outside. I can do one of those back glass's and never even get into the rear hatch.

I layed in the trunk with my head in the back and my feet up over the front seats and cut it that way. After I got used to it it was actually sort of comfortable haha. That was the first time I'd ever seamed anything (minus my 951, but that doesn't really count since it's mine...) so I was a little unsure how it was going to turn out. I did heat the heck out of the strut mounts, and let it dry for a few hours while I tinted the fronts and did some other random stuff. DIdn't twist up

Try cutting one from the outside. I can do one of those back glass's and never even get into the rear hatch.

I was actually tempted to try this but since I have virtually no experience seaming wasn't sure if it would work. Next one I might

The defroster lines are so thick on those, it is real easy to splice. Again, I have not done cars for many years and back then film was not engineered to shrink as it does now. But the only shrinking I had to do with those was on the top corners of the back. And also on the bottom of the doors, but I always shrunk them on the inside.

Archived