Alcohol Solution - PPF

Guest Invisibra.net

It went on this front bumper well, and handled the 50/50 alcohol fine. It did not get any chicken skin, and where I would lift it for a few inches, to give a little bit of a different tug, it didn't give me fits with working lines, or stretch marks.

I reserve final judgement till I do a full hood however. My biggest frustration in the past, was when I'd spray heavy amounts of slip solution (Gel) on a hood, and on the film, and still get little grabby spots all over the hood, (chicken skin) that would damage the adhesive, leaving texture spots that couldn't be fixed. Especially on ridges, like the lumps and bumps of a black mercedes C63, etc. I think the reason I loved the Avery Nano so much, is that the adhesive didn't 'GRAB' the vehicle until it was squeegeed down for like over 60 to 90 seconds. Then it gradually got a stronger and stronger grip. You could still lift it for a while without big lines.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea the ridges that push out alot of are what gave me a hard time too. the subaru sti fenders pop up in my mind. were the hoods you were doing at room temperature? I have a harder time when the engines still radiating alot of heat, catch is I like to do the hood first. keep us posted. :thumb

Guest Invisibra.net

I like doing hoods first also... Gives them plenty of time to finish drying while you are doing bumpers, etc...

Sometimes, yes I have to do the job while the hood is warm, but other times the car was dropped the night before.

Norm

Ahh, that might explain some of the chicken skin issues. The heat from a hot hood softens the adhesive making it more sensitive as well as causing the gel to become more watery, allowing the film to sink through the gel and tack up faster.

We will usually pull a car in, pop the hood, spray it down with water/alcohol (the alcohol evaporates faster, speeding the cooling process). Then we'll cut kits, clean the car, and start on the plastic/fiberglass panels first if the hood still isn't cool. It's similar to laying all of your film on top of the hood and coming back to wrap edges later, after they have dried out. Not only does it help avoid install issues, but it can streamline the process.

The new adhesive seemed more resistant to the issues listed above but it still happened when I used it... just not to the degree it had before. I vary rarely put film on a hot hood... unless its winter time and I am working in a clients garage... so I dont think that is the reason why the adhesive is grabbing a distorting so quick. Like Norm said he gets the car usually the night before so it is cool by the next day. Plus he is kind of slow so the car has plenty of time to cool down. :-)

That has always been my single biggest issue with the film but I will say the new adhesive was a huge improvement over what you had. It needs a little more refining IMHO and when it gets there the film will be a great film. Until then it is just too difficult to work with being a mobile installer. If I was working out of a shop it would be no issue...

Archived