Need some wisdom

Guest carolina_shade

The volume of customers in your bay are they supplied more by the shop or by you? Maybe you can offer a increase to the shop owner on % for what he sends to you and what you bring in keep at the same %.

Does he get any additional rent beside the % you two have agreed on?

A building on your own will bring plenty of additional cost as you already know. Good luck with your options and look forward to reading about your progress.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest carolina_shade

I've been tinting at an accessory shop, renting space there for X % commission. Last year he asked for 5% more, now less then a year later, he's demanding another 5%! Well, that's a whole other story; what I'm needing help with is to decide whether to go up on tint prices to make up the difference, or to go down a little, hoping to make up the difference in volume, but also retuning the shop owner's per car profit, back to what it was. Opinions?

tintme69,

The volume of customers in your bay are they supplied more by the shop or by you? Maybe you can offer a increase to the shop owner on % for what he sends to you and what you bring in keep at the same %.

Does he get any additional rent beside the % you two have agreed on?

A building on your own will bring plenty of additional cost as you already know. Good luck with your options and look forward to reading about your progress.

Edited by carolina_shade

Well, Carolina, it's hard to say how many customers come in just from referals, but I do get a lot of business from walk-ins to purchase other things. Everything goes through their register, then the owner cuts my check every 7 days, minus what I owe them. Here's the kicker: since I posted this, most of the dealership accounts I had have either quit tinting all together, or one has moved their business to a new shop in town that may or may not be funded by the dealership's GM. The shop I work in was originally a whosale distributor to dealerships and other small shops in the state, selling glass and accessories and just in the past 8 years opened the retail store which I work in, so they usually are owed large amounts of money by the dealerships (two of which are in financial trouble). So when they got so far behind, the owner has tightened up their terms and has even, occasionally, put them on C.O.D., which I have no argument with, but it has cost me a lot of income. The relationship with this large company and the dealerships in town is rapidly deteriorating and I've been caught in the middle. If there was another shop, with this good of a location, I would have moved already.

Wow. I was looking on these post and mine was so many years ago, but still up top? Do many people not still post on here? Anyway, here’s a snapshot: of the past 6 years: said dealership begged me to come start a shop just for them, I gave in, due to the shop I was at made the glass installer the “window tinter” which failed. My venture with said dealership did very well for 5 years until the manager that started the shop got caught with dirty hands and go de-promoted. New manager eventually shut down everything old manager started. It was a good run for 5+ years. All good things must end when it comes to dealerships 😕

Current day, I’m in with a larger dealership, but not in bed with. Retail shops with a bay is very hard to find in this area. I finally found one, but I need help from you guys. My shop I had for several years. We did Mobile video, leather seats, window tint and Line-X bed liners. So I’ve got a partner that is willing to invest in getting my shop back; emphasizing in car audio (I’ve got a lot of custom audio experience) .  It seems great, but it’s like this: I’ve got years of experience, at least 100 calls a week from customers, a great reputation. I don’t have working capital or the money to build a great shop. It would be a slow, as I can do it kind of thing on my own. My “partner” is willing to invest, but has zero business experience, no skills that would really help, which is fine, but what is my current assets worth? Without me, it would take months if not years to acquire the following I have. He has zero business experience and I’m getting calls all day along with FB and google ads. I really want to be a Fosgate dealer, along with Alpine and other big names. I feel like if I’m going to share my business I want to do it right. How much should I expect him to invest to be a 50/50 partner? $25k ? $50k?   What do you think?  Has anyone been down this road?  Thanks guys