Veterans of tinting can I get some advice!?

Guest The Godfather

I've been in the industry for 40 years, it's hard to keep focused but we've gained so much out of it. Dont give up so easily.

But Snapptint you have a good point. Flat glass is where it's at now. It's also a good place to learn. too many different types of cars to try and get the hang of auto tinting. Putting up tint onto houses and buildings is proving to be a lot more cost effective and less tiresome for an old bugger like me.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I need some advice or a pep talk...anyway. Most of you know I am a rookie to tinting. I've been doing this about a month and I when I make a mistake it makes me think that maybe I should just give it up. But it is something I enjoy to do I grew up around cars, worked in body shops, detail shops, even worked some auctions buying cars. I'm sure some of you will grill me for this post. But it is cool most of you seem like good people. I want to buy those DVDS from stan or attend a class, but the VA won't pay for it lol.

Just posted on another thread of yours...... sorry just saw this one. I'm traveling with family till first of next week but call me after Monday and we can talk about options

Cheers

Stan

I have owned 3 businesses, and although none of them made me rich (yet) I don't think I would give up working for myself and working with my family. It takes a long time to start making real money in any business, the trick is to find a niche. If I had to do it over again, I'd make a few changes for sure, but I'd stay in this biz :)

Really I thought everyone was a tinter.... tinty. It was more of a question in regards to when a lot people started if they had difficulties and etc. Sorry if my simply asking for advice made your Cheerios float funny.

I remember when cars were getting the better of me. I just used the ol' saying: "what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger" :lol

Quit while your still young and have options! The tint business is a horrible business to get into! For starters even though it is picking up popularity with the public. It is also becoming more and more whored out every year! Secondly it is a luxury purchase, so it will be the first thing to take a hit in a bad economy. Thirdly no matter if you are the best tinter in the world. Unless you have a business mind and the patience to deal with idiot customers day in and day out. You can never succed in your own business. That leaves you working for somebody else and chances are with no retirement or health benefits. Your income potential is greatly limited and you damn sure better be great with money to get you thru the slow months . Finding good employees is extremely difficult wich also adds to the problem of income limitations since it becomes hard to grow. it is one of the most cut throat biz's you could ever get into. The customers can be the worst people in the world to deal with and everybody wants a discount.

You are a step ahead of the game in a very big way. You get military prefference in any civil service job! Think about the future and find another career. Tint is a great way to make some easy cash, but keep it as a side thing!

I wasted 15 yrs of my life chasing the money I made tinting windows. Got burnt out like many people do, got a CDL and now I make more money doing less work.

Archived