how do you stay cool in the shop?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chris91Z28

I would love to hear some input on this as well. Our shop is usually hotter inside than it is outside. We have 5 bays and usually keep all the doors open except mine which somehow makes it 10 degrees hotter in my bay than the rest of the shop. Not awesome. I keep a small fan by my bench that I move around with me, but that just pretty much circulates hot air.

I run a 5 ton AC unit ($5,600 out of pocket) it keeps the 3000 square foot building Im in tolerable.

I feel for you guys with no air!!!!

I know I'm spoiled, but no way could I tint with it so hot here without AC.

Guest grasshopper

usually I park the car outside with the hood up...during that time I prep all my tools, clean all the windows, take out all the headrests, brake lights etc.. & cut out all the films.. then I roll the car inside the shop. it helps a little bit.

Guest thatsnappyguy

I had this isssue once. Had a one car stall with really 15' ceilings and the air cond wouldnt even make a dent. We, got some 2x4's and some heavy duty tarps. Made some makeshift rafters, and stapled them to the rafters. we dropped the ceiling from 15' to 8'. made a huge difference.

I have lots of experience in this over the yrs. When installing AC , you have to "argue" with the AC pro that the normal formula they use to figure out what size AC you need does not apply, because unlike like an office or retail space, you are bringing in hot engines every hour on the hour in an enclosed space. You need overkill AC for that situation. Other tips include:

having a customer come and hour early so that you can pop the hood in the shade while still working on your last car.

In stall an air output fan on the top side wall of your shop near the ceiling. Since cold air drops it therefore pushes heat up the fan skims all the heat that's rises and takes it out of the shop there by allowing the cool AC to rise as well.

Guest accent

My shop is 2000sq ft. 14 foot ceilings. Just bought a 5 ton unit the other day. Hoping it'll help some. Other then that, she's 98 in the shop, 107 in the office. Last 9 pounds so far this year!!!!!

Archived