3M competing with their customers has hit the fan

Well it appears the topic of 3M being in competition with vehicle wrap shops has hit the fan. Take away thousands of $$$ in business from one of your own customers with sub par work and feel the flame get stoked.

Please add you comments to a thread over on Signs101.com. It deals with 3M moving in on Auto Dealerships with partnerships and cutting off other shops on performing wraps on vehicles unless you take their training, use their product, and are part of their organization. Once again 3M using their muscle to push their product and others out of the market. You may agree or disagree but we know that 3M has been watching the thread discussion and posted one response.

Here is the original discussion going on now:

http://signs101.com/...ead.php?t=98553

Just thought I would help with the virility of the topic. :thumb

Guest Sidewinder

Maybe, but everybody should be focusing on their business. Even given the weak macro prospects going forward for the foreseeable future, there are opportunities. Fixating on what you can't control is a waste of precious time and energy. Camaro's have a stripe option from the factory, yet there are lots of local options.

Maybe, but everybody should be focusing on their business. Even given the weak macro prospects going forward for the foreseeable future, there are opportunities. Fixating on what you can't control is a waste of precious time and energy. Camaro's have a stripe option from the factory, yet there are lots of local options.

Appears you missed the point of the discussion.

no, just dissagree it is worthwhile to fixate on the issue.

Agreed. I didnt click on anything to read before I post this.

What I believe has been lost as a value, is that we are selling a SERVICE, and not a product. If you have a dealership account (in which at one time I did, but walked away due to not having enough help to continue the relationship) and you get things handled and have a fantastic relationship, the dealership will continue to use you no matter who tries to steal it.

My company has only lost 1 bid to 3M, and our service is better than any product on the market. I will note that we are a small company that doesnt do huge jobs, but we like it that way.

I just did a job today that the customer had no idea what brand of film I was installing. They didnt care because my wife can sell a pee flavored popsicle.

We do not subscribe to the business model of competing directly against your customers at an unfair pricing advantage. The frustration on the part of film and vinyl shops is understandable. Personally I wish it would stop, but the likelyhood of that is slim to none. To cope with the situation, here ere are 2 simple things that anyone can do:

1) Focus on what you are doing not what the other company is doing.

2) Support those that support you and don't support those that compete against you.

Your life will be less stressful, you will probably be more sucessful, and you will spend less time on the interent arguing about things that you have no control over... :twocents

no, just dissagree it is worthwhile to fixate on the issue.

I didnt click on anything to read before I post this.

You may want to read some of the conversation then. This is not really about competing for a bid using one brand or another. Or even about a level of service over another. This stems down to your actual supplier actively competing with you for customer bids. Then setting up a system based on their own rules to shut you out from such work ~ some of which who are established customers of yours already. The whole time maintaining a straight face that they are not actually competing in the market.

Archived