really considering not tinting cars over 5 years old anymore

I pull panels on everything I can (some exceptions that I tuck, plus the ones you can just get the bottom sweep out easy obviously I don't). Does help a lot. But I find the older the car gets, the riskier or more annoying removal can be, so it's still worth a few more bucks to me.

I don't gouge, but I mean if I know a car will be irritating, and that when I'm irritated my work can reflect it, it's worth the mental well being to even get an extra 20 bucks or something. For me it's more the mental aspect of it (plus time too is a factor sometimes).

I don't tend to get a lot of $%#& boxes around here though. Not a lot of really high end either, mostly just clean average vehicles so I'm spoiled in a way.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boils down to making the person happy with the end result, and I know that if I'm happy with it they definitely will be. However, if I'm not happy (and they may very well be) then that bothers me (and usually me alone). If they get what they pay for then I'm thrilled and sometimes if a componant of that is me being willing to very happily spend a little extra time then I'd say that's worth the bit extra for both of us.

I've done older stuff where the person expected to pay more than I charged because of that, so some people are pretty reasonable too.

age may play a factor in how dirty the car will be. However that doesn't always hold true. I tint a newer Mini Copper that was dirty as hell. While just a few months back I tinted a 1985 chevy blazer that was as clean as a brand new car. The worst car to get are those being driven on gravel roads daily.

I don't pop panels, we use cut patterns so no need to really, popping panels is just extra time and energy imo not worth the chance on breaking something. I know a lot of you pop panels and we used to but it got to be too much of a headache and we got tired of certain customers saying we "broke" something when popped them.

I guess it is partly due to the area I live in, but if I were to start turning away cars more then 5 years in age along with dirty cars. I would be turning away probably half of the work that comes through my door. I am not willing to do that for alittle extra elbow grease on getting a car clean.

by doing this it will certianly free up your day to do thing other then tinting windows. Have you looked at your jobs over the past few months to see how many cars and trucks you would be turning away? you are saying that you would not be tinting anything older then a 2007 model vehicle.

With that or really any era of Ford truck the sweep comes out so easy without removing the panel. There is no reason to fight with them. I have it stated that "older vehicles may require extra time and will be charged accordingly", but have only done that once or twice. I have found that I can make a nasty turd look good in about the same time.

I am very picky with what I do, but I will let a bit more slide on the old pos ones too. Just know what can and can't be done after all these years. I can also read the customer and know what they will accept most of the time....

I just did a 1991 f-150 last week in under 2 hours it looked near flawless like a new car. So maybe before you start turning away paying custys, you might want to try sharpening your tint skills just a bit. The key to getting clean work on a dirty car is how careful you are when placing the film on the window . :twocents

Archived