really considering not tinting cars over 5 years old anymore

they are so freakin dirty...I did a 2001 F250 SuperDuty on Friday, redid the drivers door because the felts were just falling apart, taped them and everything, little water, I still wasn't happy with it or having fun anymore...

I hate my work to look bad, but at a certain point it becomes unprofitable to tint the older cars...

Maybe I should just suggest they get them detailed first? or charge more the older it is, not sure, but getting tired of old PoS...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't do that, it will make people think you are too good to work for them. And people talk alot, you don't want bad word of mouth. I would keep tinting everything that comes through the door. However you might explain to people that anything over 5 years old, or really dirty will not turn out clean like a brand new clean car will look.

I can relate. I think it goes beyond money and final product in the end. When you constantly struggle on certain types of projects, like old cars, even though you get paid for them and the customer is generally satisfied...it is an exhausting experience because one has to lower their standards to a level that might be uncomfortable. Sometimes I find that changing "standards" gears like that constantly can be draining.

This is coming from somebody who hasn't been tinting all that long when compared to some of you guys. So I'd imagine experience either has given you that versatility to hit the ground running in any situation or you have learned that your most productive route is only taking on what fits your criteria.

I do construction work also, and I turn down projects daily that we just don't want to get bogged down on. Is it stuff we can do? Absolutely, but it is just not in what we determined to be our most " productive" scope of work. Not that we are too good for it.

When it comes to film, we pretty much take on anything. With construction we are very picky with what we take on. Maybe in the future we will also have a chance to be that way with film, hopefully.

:twocents

Lately I've been getting frustrated w/ the old dirty ones too. Even with 2x the cleaning and I still get contamination. Whats worse is when I quote it the same as as recent model or just don't charge enough. I do turn most vehicles away before 1990 w/ some exceptions.

I would keep doing them, just charge as much as you want to make it worth your time and if they don't want, Im sure you'll be even happier to not see it.

I try to avoid 'set' prices that are really broad and just cover vehicle type. I mean I know what I want for a typical new(ish) sedan/coupe, etc but I try to quote everything individually since everything is different. I have basic pricing outlines for people off the street (depending on film used), but I have no second thoughts about going XX.XX dollars above what I would typically charge for a newer vehicle if it's something older than 5-7 years, especially if they're the type of vehicle that is mildly annoying when newer or in great shape.

It's called a PITA charge. Because they can be a pain in the ass :lol I just find an extra few bucks gives me a lot more patience when working on something older that (comparatively) sucks.

The last 5 or so years I did auto, I would not take anything more than 3 years old. Unless I could see it before booking it. I turned away many many many 3 year old %&$# boxes. I don't care about hurting someones feelings.

Guest VaTinterPMan

I know how feel C2C...I hate doing dirty cars Esp cars that have been tinted before and than ripped off or taken off the wrong way and the defroster lines are falling apart and I can see so much contaminets by the lines and just speratic through the back window....I did a simple Celica 3 times just to make myself happy....

let me ask you guys this. How many of you having trouble with olders cars are pulling the door panels to tint the doors?

Generally speaking with old cars I have a tougher time getting a clean install on back glass, sliders, quarters and aux windows. Roll ups usually tend to be a breeze because there is usually so much play in the gaskets. Plenty of dirt....yes, but clean enough and it can be reduced.

Ive been pulling panels on every car thats come in in the last week. Much easier and I will continue to do it on newer cars. But I would be very timid on older cars still because just think about how brittle those old panels are likely to be. :dunno

Archived