Dealership referral and weather

Guest nordfink

Guest nordfink

Received a call this morning from new (used) auto dealership in town. I haven't done any work for them and literally just dropped off a biz card on Monday. They sold a lady a 2010 camaro ss and she wants the rear glass and quarters done on Sunday. Heres the ? My few years of tinting were done mainly in AZ and this will be my 1st winter back in IA in 10 years. Only supposed to be 49° on Sunday, 27° that night, and have never seen how these chilly temps affect tint. Could potentially get quite a bit of work from this lot, is it to cold? Should I tell her to wait for little higher temps later in the week? Just not familiar with tint reactions and this cold weather. I thought I was just about done for the winter but the car dealer thinks it will be fine. Advice???

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't tint on Sunday...fargin bastages dealers...

we are close to StL, but we tint cars all the time throughout winter, just heat them up a bit more. In the summer time we just pull them in, tint em, and pull them out. In the winter, if you have space, I'd leave them inside for a bit, generally we leave them in for about 4 hours. Of course, we blue max all the water out, heat the entire window, especially edges. We use Suntek, Llumar, and Global QDP. Also, I tell the customer to not roll their windows down for 3-4 days, and not to wash the windows for a month. I know our QDP dries up enough to be safe in the 4 hours we leave it inside.

Guest VaTinterPMan

Lots of People on here tint in really cold conditions....I am one of them...I remember a pic where someone was doing a mobile job for a mustang with snow on the ground....It doesn't affect it yet...Its still above freezing....

So IMO your fine man...Start to worry when it is :cold real :cold Some people use rubbing alcohol if I remember correctly by just adding it to the slip solution ( I dont )....Also when it is below freezing for nights or days.....Get out as much water as possible....

VA

Guest VaTinterPMan

Oh yeah Howard had a really good post on this way back...He is like the older guy in Pirates of the Caribbean with the Pirate Code Book....But he holds the Tinter Code Book....I wish I had have the knowledge he does about a lot of things.... :thumb

Guest nordfink

Well, I called her and she wants it done Sunday, lol, regardless of temps. I explained it was going to be 60s wednesday and 40 at night, she didnt get it. Going to use renegade or this 3m sample that showed up the other day, she doesnt care, just wants it done. Ive been to a rams game in december, left here dressed for a blizzard and ended up in t-shirt 6 hrs later in stl, so temps are a bit milder. How would I go about finding that Howard post?? Thanks...

Guest VaTinterPMan

Well, I called her and she wants it done Sunday, lol, regardless of temps. I explained it was going to be 60s wednesday and 40 at night, she didnt get it. Going to use renegade or this 3m sample that showed up the other day, she doesnt care, just wants it done. Ive been to a rams game in december, left here dressed for a blizzard and ended up in t-shirt 6 hrs later in stl, so temps are a bit milder. How would I go about finding that Howard post?? Thanks...

I would use the JWF!! If you have never used 3M before I wouldn't start on a customer car....But thats just me....I don't bad mouth any type of film, it is not user friendly @ all you really got to watch some tint with it or have them teach you for a day before you get the hang of that film....But its up to you...Is it the Color Stable Film??

Guest nordfink

more than likely will use the johnsons, just thought it might be opportunity to try the 3m but youre probably right, we have 3m factory here and name recognition is crazy, figured id need to add it at some point just for that fact. tried the fx-hp the other day screwing around on neighbors car and felt like it shrank like a sheet of tin foil, didnt like it, but rep sent me the premium and says its more "user friendly", whatever that means, lol...

I am a bit south of Saint Louis for most of my business, but tint year round. I don't let the vehicle sit inside to bake. I will pull them out when it is any temp. Never had any issue with it. As long as you squeegee it well enough then there are no worries.

I also don't heat up the glass other than side glasses IF they are sliding too much from being colder. As long as you are doing your job with the power squeegee it will all be good....

Archived