How strong is 8mil security film?

FBO

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the SRC becomes a weak point; however, we are talking lateral force. A direct, focused, perpendicular pop away would take the SRC off, but when you have flexing it becomes lateral shear which would take much more force/energy to pull up a now larger area.

:thumb Plus it is usually one big hit (maybe a few) depending on the type of shock wave. Siesmic might be a concern though, especially if they make the mistake of frame-locking all 4 sides for earthquakes. Just a thought...

I stand corrected. I would have never guessed the film would bond well to the SRC. I know it isnt apples to apples, but I have done some auto r/r jobs with two layers, and the second film easily comes off with no adhesive left behind.

Oh it's a weaker application, but if it has a decent frame lock system then the force in a blast is working more in favor than against.

Here is something to think about too. What if you had to seam a window? It will never be as strong as one single piece but if memory serves me correctly the recommended method is to butt both pieces of film against each other and then apply a piece of film over the seam. I learned that in my 7mil cert test way back when... Smartie do you know if they are still teaching that?

Well, sure with a frame lock system, but Im talking about just daylight application with an additional layer.

Ive never been told to apply film over a seam, only to butt it together, but the additional layer there makes sense.

I just cant wrap my head around the film bonding good on the SRC.

I suppose its no matter though really. I'd just put the spec'd mil window film on.

I stand corrected. I would have never guessed the film would bond well to the SRC. I know it isnt apples to apples, but I have done some auto r/r jobs with two layers, and the second film easily comes off with no adhesive left behind.

Oh it's a weaker application, but if it has a decent frame lock system then the force in a blast is working more in favor than against.

Here is something to think about too. What if you had to seam a window? It will never be as strong as one single piece but if memory serves me correctly the recommended method is to butt both pieces of film against each other and then apply a piece of film over the seam. I learned that in my 7mil cert test way back when... Smartie do you know if they are still teaching that?

Positions have changed over the years as more and more is learned from real time installs. Today, any type safety film seam, whether covered with film or with an flexible attachment mimicing framework, failed 400' lb testing at the seam; stands to reason break & enter or blast would fail as well.

Positions have changed over the years as more and more is learned from real time installs. Today, any type safety film seam, whether covered with film or with an flexible attachment mimicing framework, failed 400' lb testing at the seam; stands to reason break & enter or blast would fail as well.

:thumb I've seen them installed, even did one myself many year ago but never seen one take a hit... always wondered if it would hold. Stands to reason it wouldn't.

Quick Question.

I installed an 8m security film sample for a customer a few days ago on a window pain sized 12" x 17". I have yet to seal it with DOW 995. This customer is eager to test the film before he moves forward with a complete install. So I am trying to determine about how long I should allow the film to bind to the glass and how long it will take for the structural sealant to bind to the metal frame once I seal it?

What I am trying to avoid is having the customer bash the window in before everything is completely cured. Otherwise the test will not meet his expectations and the job will be lost. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Archived