Llumar ATR

So has something changed in the last 6 months or so will the mounting adhesive? Anytime I have ever removed the film after it has fully dried it always has left 95% of the adhesive on the glass. It wouldn't matter if I used a heat gun, steamer, or just ripped it off. Recently I have noticed it peels off leaving almost no adhesive residue. My slip has not changed or environment of my install bays. I use a ton of this film, roughly 5-8 rolls a week. I have also noticed that about a year and a half ago they quit stamping the liner with the llumar logo, & now it is back. Just wondering about the consistancy of the film. I have not had any warranty issues other than the film patterns in PC3 being to short causing some peeling from the lower gaskets in some cars. Can anyone shed some light on this?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've asked my supplier if anything has changed. They claim "no" however I've used ATR for about 10yrs now and know its feel, looks , etc very well. I've noticed some quality control issues in respects to the odd role having an orange peel type of distortion . Also the odd role having some minor contamination. I hold this film to high standards because its higher priced than comparable films. My supplier has always made good with any partial rolls I've had issues with , but I'd rather just not have the issues to begin with. I can't comment on the adhesive as I've never had to strip any of my own jobs other than 1 door that a custy damaged that I tinted 1/2 yr ago and I did have to strip the glue . My spidy sense tells me that something has changed but can't say for sure .

Smartie would be a very good member to comment on the ATR I suspect :thumb

I have seen the same random issues as well. But I can say it has been pretty consistant as far as looks and feel. I know sometime things get changed up without notification. Reminds me when Bekaert took over Solargard from MSC. I just hope if there are changes it is for the better and not the worse. The real problem is you don't ever know until 3-5 years later. Til' then I guess we will keep slingin the ATC.

The real problem is you don't ever know until 3-5 years later

:bingo

I've got a lot of vehicles that I'm tracking from 2004 from the Mazda dealership which are holding up great in respects to fading,delaminating and colour change :thumb

I only use ATR CH from the ATR line, haven't noticed a difference other than I think they got the curling issue resolved.

Yes, that was a bit of an issue too, but just for a couple of rolls

Nothing has changed with ATR except becoming color stable a few years ago. If there is concern over the adhesive not staying behind once the film is removed it would have to be a fluke. ATR has been by far one of the most successful auto film stories in our industry; it is in some cases the benchmark.

The logo print went away do to transfer through issues; in other words the logo left an imprint in the adhesive and it took those who are able to eye phuck the install to find it. Nevertheless, it was important to eliminate any such issue, so the press stopped and aparently has started back up again.

Like any other product produced by man there can be inconsistencies in keeping the product on the straight and narrow highest quality path. Then add in the machines letting us down, then there's the QC check that might blink as the film runs by at several feet per second. The goal IS to stay as consistent as humanly/machinery as possible.

There are improvements over what might have been noted just a couple of years back. Kind of like getting back to the future. I know of almost 100 rolls of ATR that never got out the door; seems it had a curl issue, not when cut from the box, not when draped between hands or turned 90 degrees to check the transverse direction for curl; it only showed up when the liner was pulled and the adhesive sprayed. Looks good, hangs in the air good, but no liky that water. QC caught it.

I can remember a batch of ATR made years ago that had the wrong color layer laminated in; whoops, that was K's of film that went to the trash. High cost of LLumar for some = the everyday attempt at quality consistency.

Archived