Dual Pane Tempered Glass?

It's supposed to be both panes if there is a stamp.

Just because an IG unit has a tempered stamp on it, does not necessarily mean that both panes are tempered, for an example chapter 7a of the California building code says that a tempered thermopane window can be either the inner or outer pane.

It sure does but that is only in "fire-prone" zones and not everywhere statewide.

Yep, I got the same meter! I was thinking about this thread and remembered a interior deco job we did for Monster.Com and the arcehict did not want stamps on the tempered glass walls. This was 3-4 years ago, the glass co ordered the glass and did not request no stamps. Installed it and the designer pitched a fit. They had to remove it all and replace it with non stamped glass with a certificate from the mfr as to it being tempered for the building inspector. It is possible to have non labeled glass.

I have seen that a lot.

All the more reason to get and use a meter.

Maybe I should preface my initial response with the phrase, "it is suppose to be..." :lol

Had to pass on a job recently, sealed ig unit, all tinted glass, external pane toughened - internal pane tinted laminated.

External pane stamped toughened, no stamps to id laminated which is often the case in Aus. all confirmed with my fancy meter.

Custy wanted 5 or 10 grade film to cut glare :nope

My "fancy meter" is worth its weight in gold.

Yep, I got the same meter! I was thinking about this thread and remembered a interior deco job we did for Monster.Com and the arcehict did not want stamps on the tempered glass walls. This was 3-4 years ago, the glass co ordered the glass and did not request no stamps. Installed it and the designer pitched a fit. They had to remove it all and replace it with non stamped glass with a certificate from the mfr as to it being tempered for the building inspector. It is possible to have non labeled glass.

I have seen that a lot.

All the more reason to get and use a meter.

Maybe I should preface my initial response with the phrase, "it is suppose to be..." :lol

Perhaps...... :lol ............. and a meter would be the way to go to make sure.............. :thumb

What I am told from the glass industry is that laminate will always have a "laminate" stamp whether annealed, HS, or Temp. But... if it is HS or Temp laminate, it will have the "laminate" stamp and only have an additional "Tempered" stamp if it is requested in the glass order. -FWIW

I make it a habit to check anyways because I own a fancy meter that will tell if the laminate is annealed, HS, or Temp and it looks pretty cool when you are inspecting glass that way for a custy... makes us look important. :lol

What kind of meter is that?

What I am told from the glass industry is that laminate will always have a "laminate" stamp whether annealed, HS, or Temp. But... if it is HS or Temp laminate, it will have the "laminate" stamp and only have an additional "Tempered" stamp if it is requested in the glass order. -FWIW

I make it a habit to check anyways because I own a fancy meter that will tell if the laminate is annealed, HS, or Temp and it looks pretty cool when you are inspecting glass that way for a custy... makes us look important. :lol

What kind of meter is that?

http://www.vquestfilms.com/cart/strengthened-tempered-glass-detector.html

SG2700_lrg.jpg

Archived