One way mirror ???

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you tinting on Lexan. CDF adhesive is all but impossible to remove if its Lexan.

You will need a layer of grafitti gard first and tint over it or use a PS film.

I've had the best results with SolarGard Tru Vue 5 to date for 1 way vis. at prisons with equal lighting, to improve this you can install vertical reflective stripes on inmate side and cover with grafitti gard.

Charge an hourly at prisons, plus film dont quote or 9/10 you will do your ass as everything takes much longer than expected.

Take minimum tools and make an itemised list of these to facillitate.

Prison officials are like BMW owners and will pick apart every job (too dark, not dark enuff, not 1 way vis enuff etc etc) do a test panel and wait for all the opinions to come in or once again you might be doing your ass again.

Hope this helps a bit. PM me if you need to. :thumb

I got the job!!! I put a sample of the RN07 up and they were very pleased with it. The only lighting in the room are the tv screens which is great. Thanks for the help. 410 sq ft of removal as well. I'm thinking I might have some sore forearms. :woot2

Best of luck! :thumb :thumb

I got the job!!! I put a sample of the RN07 up and they were very pleased with it. The only lighting in the room are the tv screens which is great. Thanks for the help. 410 sq ft of removal as well. I'm thinking I might have some sore forearms. :woot2

Check if its glass or Lexan. Might be a :facepalm2 moment

Check if its glass or Lexan. Might be a :facepalm2 moment

I'm pretty sure it's glass. There was a window that they already removed the film and appeared to be glass.

Just went and did a "one way" application today. The one window was nearly even lighting and it was still a good effect. I used Johnson Scenic View 10 film. Windows where the light was a better contrast the couldn't see me waving at them at all.....

Just went and did a "one way" application today. The one window was nearly even lighting and it was still a good effect. I used Johnson Scenic View 10 film. Windows where the light was a better contrast the couldn't see me waving at them at all.....

Cool. I'm going to use Lulu RN07. I'm doing it this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

Guest kdhowie66

Hi All - really interesting discussion, hopefully I'm not too late for advice.  I'm trying to crack this problem too - I see a huge business opportunity if it's possible to allow both sides of a 1-way mirror to be reasonably lit.  Everything suggested here makes sense and is helpful, and I completely understand that it is physically impossible to achieve equal lighting on both sides of the mirror.

I was wondering if, in addition to layering the tints and putting 5-10% on the dark room side, if focused lighting would make a difference.  For example, if you install a set of lights at the top of the "light side" room that shine down onto the reflective glass at an angle so as to increase the reflectivity and make it more difficult to see through to the dark side.  Or, if you had lights on the dark side shining directly into the light side, or surrounding the mirror, etc??

Disclaimer - I am a commercial guy, not an inventor.  Didn't do very well in science so please go easy on me if my idea sucks.  

Any thoughts on this would be awesome.  If anyone wants to partner with me I'm willing to fund some experimentation to see if this idea can work.  I see huge potential in an industry I know very well.  

Archived