is there too much work out there?

Great to hear Daz... Are things returning to Normal after the big wet?

Yeah, put away the snorkel and flippers some time ago.

Didnt really interfere with tinting business , lost 3 days trade with other business though.

Thanks for the concern though Mike, you're the only supplier that asked.

Also, do you use DC 995 for the sealer? I have been told by someone in the know that Selleys All Clear is acceptable for sealing external installs for FG solar, but I just use DC 995 anyway.. It doesn't come cheap though... And us tinters are the cheapest lot on the earth :thumb So I guess 1 of us has found a cheaper alternative somewhere..

I just stick with the tried and tested DC995. Sometimes I do it myself, sometimes subbie it out to a glazing company I work in with if I'm pushed for time.

All good Daz, That DC995 is some messy stuff. Get it wrong and it's a dogs breakfast...

Is the job in the west as per Western Auto? That's maybe why!

Getting back to "can you match?".....I had a local carpenter/maintenance/subbie guy ask me to quote just around the corner for tinting a kitchen area in an old peoples' home.

Years old glass, shitie frames, caulking flaking, you know the job, so I quote for something like $450.

A few days later he rings back saying he's had another quote for $400 and if I match that, I can have the job. I tell him go for it...give it to them. (shock/horror)

Then another few days saying if I can make it $420 I can have the job now (obviously wants me to do the job all the time) expecting me to grovel and bow on both knees to be so ever grateful for his kind generosity.

I told him again to let em av it. (that must have really got him)

Saving grace is whilst some poor other mug tinter covered in kitchen grease fat is slogging it away, I'm being more productive and more profitable elsewhere.

Arseholes.

Devil

Had the same thing years ago with a major construction company in town. They have a rep of paying very slow (anywhere from 90 to 120 days) the first job was about 800 sq. ft of green tint to exactly match the green glass they were also installing, could only get it from MEP and paid through the nose. Had to drop everything to do it straight away.

Gave a quote and the arseclown manager came back asking for a discount off that price.

I asked why? Did he have a cheaper quote? No reason , he just said he thought I could cut my margin a bit more for him.

I explained to him we could play the game and I could pad all my prices in future to allow for a discount OR he could just accept that the price quoted is the trade price and the only price I will offer.

Sorted out their payment system and never had the same conversation with them again, ended up getting a lot of work out of them.

Gotta set the rules up front.

Hey WAM,

How did they find you?

Sometimes people are not home during the day, so unless you come after hours or on Sunday's, you can't get to them as fast as you would like.

You will soon see that customers want an emergency 24 hour call out service when it suites them, but it's a free quote.

1 day you may be the tinter that can't get to do the quote for 1 week, and that it just the way the circle of business is I guess.

Hope you get the job.

Be very careful not to recommend the wrong product, and be sure of the type of glass or you will be OUT OF BUSINESS before you know it...

Cheers

Hey GTS I advertised on the local buy sell and swap page on facebook and got over a dozen enquiries on 5 hrs. it has netted me a house and two cars from one post so thats value I say.

Archived