Opinions on plotter size

Ok I am looking to purchase a plotter to use with tint tek. Is there any reason I cant buy a smaller plotter just to cut side windows or would it be better to just go ahead and get a 40" to cut everything. The reason I am asking is because a friend of mine is going to give me a good deal on a used machine, but it is only a 36".

Go bigger! If you can. We have a 48" and as our flatglass progresses we sure wish we went bigger. We have to finish up a tint job (extreme home makeover) using a film that only comes in a 60" roll or larger and this particular job has several hundred small frame windows that a big plotter would be nice to just spit them out. Ran into many jobs where a large plotter would have been nice rather than the film handler. But, if you are only doing auto and it's a good deal go for it. As long as you can fit a 24" in there for larger doors (trucks etc) then you will be fine. 40" does come in handy when you have to cut a back glass on a dark interior car and it's hard to see through but that's about it. And saving a tiny tiny bit of $$$ on roll cut charges lol.

I don't own a plotter, for now, but I look at it as a multi-use tool. If you're a production tint shop, maybe a small one would be fine. However I see the potential in a larger machine to make me a lot of money in a lot of ways, if not now then in the future.

I will go for a 72. You can always put a small roll in it if you want.

Archived