Cheap competition affecting you?

Hey guys, recently had someone on facebook looking for a tinter in newcastle but I live in sydney, a friend recommended me but I told them I wont travel, its not worth it.

Then another person commented and said a reasonable price they paid for tint was one hundred and fifty bucks on a remove and re-tint on a ford explorer, my jaw dropped, how the fark can you make money doing that, I found out the company name and they offer any car for that same price, also was told it was 5% and they were finished in 1 hour with 2 guys on the car. and when I read their website they have a factory address so they have overheads as well!

luckily this company is in a different part of sydney from me, yet I do have a close competitor starting to offer cheap pricing far below mine some cars 100 cheaper and my pricing is still below the big franchises

I have a shop so I have added expense from just being mobile but really I hate to see this being the norm, I will have to close the business if I have to match prices like those, I bet their flat glass work is also cheap. makes all the hard work we do not worth it but theres very little we can do about it if they do consistently 8 cars a day they are still making money but not what its worth.

thoughts?

Get used to it Mates, it will happen time and time again.

Seems even worse in the US of A by reading here.

Be content that they are hacks and if those custys want cheap that's what they will get.

An hour for a complete R & R and in 5% as well .... please.

Sydney is rife for this crap lately , Brissy is worse I'm told.

At least while they are tied up doing no profit work, you can take in a couple of good paying jobs and go fishing after.

Last business around my parts to do this went bust after a year or 2 of doing cheap work, (using cheap film & the warranty work added to their demise)

Ignore them and delete that chit off your FB site :thumb

to add some info, we brought in 3 lines of film, which can be expensive. our base line is a good film, we have it in 50%-5%, and we have it priced close to our competetion. Close is the key word. We upsell most of our customers to the midgrade or highgrade. I think what makes our customers head our way is our knowledge base and also our "base" film being close to the other guys film makes customers think a bit about what the competetion is putting on their cars. We also do computer cut to set us apart as well. Hand cutters can be fast or faster than the computer cut, but it is one more thing that puts us ahead of the competetion. We saw that a lot with our paint protection sales, people don't like blades near their cars. Btw, I know tons of you guys cut on cars and handcut and do a fantastic job, so don't get pissy!!! If you do a good, better, best option make sure they are tiered that way. You can use a heat box to prove the difference in the film's protective qualities, this is also a good upsell tool. And lastly, make your shop look as pro as possible. You would be surprised what a well organized, neat shop will bring you customer wise.

Archived