Help - Shrinking difficult rear screen

Thanks Callwild =]

I have never tried the soap method nor the powder as I was taught to use Mr Sheen and it seems to work ok. I wouldn't mind to try other methods. Hopefully I can find it on Youtube otherwise its back here.

Thanks again everyone

Thanks Callwild =]

I have never tried the soap method nor the powder as I was taught to use Mr Sheen and it seems to work ok. I wouldn't mind to try other methods. Hopefully I can find it on Youtube otherwise its back here.

Thanks again everyone

Supafit, soap method is just to get a damp absorbant cloth (I use chux) and soap it up with a bar of soap - some just use slip solution and fine mist it on - either way , let it dry on glass or dry with a heat gun if you're in a rush , apply tint and shrink as usual.

I find it works a bit better than Mr Sheen but whatever works for you.

The H pattern anchor is the key, as callwild said sometimes you have to raise or lower the horizontal anchor depending on where the worst spears are.

I usually heat shrink from the edge and work back to the middle, seems to spread the spears out better.

Hey Supa,

The carbonite is about as user friendly as they come my friend. I think most tinters (pro or not) would agree that the Golf rear screens are a challenge to get used to.

If you find that you can shrink the bottom easy, and the top is too hard, then it would pay to move more of the spears down the bottom, you will need an even shrinking area, and when you find it, you will be able to do them from then on. Also, force the film towards the centre of the glass as you shrink it, and just put some spears to the side. The Carbonite sticks, and sticks fast, so when you fix it in the centre when applying, stretch the film to the side of the glass as you squeegee out the solution.

Also, they can be a pain, but if you can remove the internal surrounds of the glass, this will give you better access to fix the edges.

Hope this helps Supa! Chin up.... Once you master the Golf, most other rears start to seem like a walk in the park.

Call me if you think I can help.

Hello jayz81, I have been trying to get in touch with you, but I'm not sure if I can do that without subscribing to this site. I had a question about your post: "I have done 100 + acura TL's from this era. Started out with the moleskins when people first started to complain about the scratching. this is a manufacturers defect, not a tinting defect first and foremost. If not for the tint , sometimes the glass itself will scratch when going up and down in the tracks. It is a simple fix however. What I do now is take the panel off, remove the gasket, wet sand it with very course sandpaper, then follow up with very fine sandpaper until the gasket feels very smooth . Then I treat the gasket with silicone. I have had zero issues with scratches doing it this way, and you dont have to come out of pocket on the moleskins. The other thing I did not like about the moleskins is that it is felt, so if dirt , or dust does get down there, which can happen if the customer drives around with their windows rolled down, then it may still scratch the film up. It is still a good solution though. As far as the quarter windows, you do not have to take them apart, and you can get the film all the way back to the edge. Just takes some fineness and patience. If I were you, I would address the door issue, even though it is not your doing, just to have a happy customer. I know it sucks, but at the same time, you want people to speak positively of you rather than negative . :thumb Good luck on resolving this situation."I bought an Acura TL last year and just got it tinted yesterday. I would really like to modify my gaskets, because I can't find any other good way to prevent window scratches. Email me at getawey5@hotmail.com if you have a min. I would really appreciate it. Thank youDid not mean to hijack the thread.

I am currently tinting 3-5 GTi's and Golfs a week . The way I tint the back window is I cut the film 5 inches or so longer on both sides so the excess film curves over both sides. Then when I shrink it , I shrink at a slight angle pushing the film out and away towards the corners. I dont split the fingers , I just use a card to push the film down . I am using LLumar , not sure if this technique will work with global . Next one I get in , I will try to make a video . I still get side fingers when I install the film, but I just take my time to heat them down , being careful not to flash the film. I hope this helps . Another option is to take the trim molding of, and remove the rear wiper, but it is a little time consuming to do it this way.

Archived