Help - Shrinking difficult rear screen

Hi guys,

Just did a VW Golf, I find it hard to shrink around the corners of the rear screen (a bit curvy) What are sone tips which will help heat shrink difficult windows better. I am using carbon film from Global Tinting Supplies for the job, Dry shrinking with Mr Sheen also. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I am currently tinting 3-5 GTi's and Golfs a week . The way I tint the back window is I cut the film 5 inches or so longer on both sides so the excess film curves over both sides. Then when I shrink it , I shrink at a slight angle pushing the film out and away towards the corners. I dont split the fingers , I just use a card to push the film down . I am using LLumar , not sure if this technique will work with global . Next one I get in , I will try to make a video . I still get side fingers when I install the film, but I just take my time to heat them down , being careful not to flash the film. I hope this helps . Another option is to take the trim molding of, and remove the rear wiper, but it is a little time consuming to do it this way.

Thanks guys, I'll try the excess film next time but still sounds hard.

I had trouble taking off the rear wiper too, everything else was so easy it's just the rear window that gave me grief.

What's the best film to shrink by the way, maybe need to stock up on it for difficult rear screens =]

Guest eminemdpc

I am currently tinting 3-5 GTi's and Golfs a week . The way I tint the back window is I cut the film 5 inches or so longer on both sides so the excess film curves over both sides. Then when I shrink it , I shrink at a slight angle pushing the film out and away towards the corners. I dont split the fingers , I just use a card to push the film down . I am using LLumar , not sure if this technique will work with global . Next one I get in , I will try to make a video . I still get side fingers when I install the film, but I just take my time to heat them down , being careful not to flash the film. I hope this helps . Another option is to take the trim molding of, and remove the rear wiper, but it is a little time consuming to do it this way.

I have a hard time with the corners too. Thx for the advice!

Thanks guys, I'll try the excess film next time but still sounds hard.

I had trouble taking off the rear wiper too, everything else was so easy it's just the rear window that gave me grief.

What's the best film to shrink by the way, maybe need to stock up on it for difficult rear screens =]

The film you've got is about as good as it gets for shrinking, no need to switch - just practice and hold your tongue on the other side, might make all the difference :lol

these cars are our bread & butter in the UK. They can seem awkward at first. The three best tips

1- Use soap or powder - (but then most do this anyway now)

2- Put you horizantal anchor much lower than normal. (lower it from middle of screen to just above the bulge of the lower corners)

3- It may need a little bit of the Lift & Pull method to shape around the bottom corners.

Don't see why you have to take the wiper off!

Archived