Advice on first residential job :)

Hi, I've got my first flat glass/residential job to do. Six folding doors and one large window. They are all interior doors and made from oak with no bead. How do I finish/trim the edge? It's quite an executive office that could lead to more work so needs to be perfect. Been doing auto the last ten years with the odd house upvc window where I removed the bead. Thanks guys :)

If they are good condition and not sun rotted you are golden. Watch for stain or polyurethane on the glass edges. Scrape that off and clean the edge good is there is....

If you need to use a card on the edge use a thin one. A normal "hard card" is thicker than I like but I don't use cards for the edges.

The corners are the place to start and don't try to go all the way to the next corner but stop ahead. Use a finger or the card to hold the film down to the glass/frame edge. If you have deep frames then do a V cut out of the overlapped film to allow the push down into the frame!

Of course the thinner the hard card the better. I try to get a light gap no bigger than the thickness of a credit card. Some wood frames are a pita

It went ok, like you said lots of new varnish & paint on the glass that needed cleaning off. Biggest problem was tiny specs of dust/dirt creeping up due to capillary action. I'll post some pics shortly.

7B036E11-E562-4124-B4C2-7D57B18BE870-15947-00002218ED41CE5D.jpg

Two sets of these, this was painted the other was varnished. Also an internal widow 40"x60".

Archived