New Toy Will Explain the Truth About IR Claims

I recently had a discussion with another window tinter about the amount of IR heat that window films will block. He was trying to tell me that normal window films did not block any IR heat at all not even one percent. I'm sure one of you guys knows but just how much IR heat does non ceramic window film stop?

Well, let's put it in simple terms; when undercover surveillance is conducted using an infrared camera, they do not do it through metallized films installed on the auto (or architectural) windows. Straight-dyed limo is the preference because like VQ said it allows infrared to transmit through.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no question that this new meter represents an improvement, because it can sample a broader range. As we know, some companies will focus only on a narrow range (typically 900-1,000nm) because that is where their films do the best.

But still.....

Unless and until you understand and appreciate that the full solar spectrum incident at the earth's surface is from 250-2,500nm and that ALL of this energy is relevant - you will never fully understand the very core of this topic. That's why the NFRC publishes the SHGC and not IR. The SHGC is comprehensive and all encompassing. The IR is exclusive to the spectral range being measured.

The primary reason why you still see IR pushed in Asia is that (at present) they do not have any equivalent to the NFRC. In time, they will and it will hopefully end this debate once and for all.

-Howard

Let me append my own post here:

If you have an important decision to make, how much information do you want to base it on?

• Some?
  • Most?
  • or ALL of the information?

Choice #3 is the SHGC.

-Howard

Archived