New Toy Will Explain the Truth About IR Claims

I gotcha now Vquest :thumb Took me awhile to write the last response....darn kids. I'm picking up what you are putting down.

Really the selling point is to use against 3M.....most other meters do all the other stuff you are referring to, correct?

Edit: Damnit I can't keep up with you guys.....I should start quoting :lol

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting the same vibe Eastwood

Glad I'm not the only one. Thanks :beer

I'm not bashing Vquest. I understand you and your dealers likely lose a lot of market share to Prestige/Crystaline and this is a means of gaining it back. I commend you. I was simply asking from the perspective of someone who is not in either camp. What are the benefits of this meter past selling against 3M? You were cryptic, I don't fault you per say....but what's the damn selling point?

I appreciate that Eastwood. :beer

We haven't lost any market share, in fact, we have gained consistently year after year. This is not just a tool for Huper Dealers and it is not a tool for exclusively turning over Prestige/Crystaline although it makes it rather easy to debunk the IR claims. Rather, it is a tool to compare any product and its performance claims right in front of your customer. And the real cool part is that it is using National and International Standards of measurement so it is not just Rob's or Vquest's tricked out meter for messing with people's heads. :lol This is a powerful and very unique meter that is calibrated to recognized standards. :beer

We just received our first shipment of the new and much anticipated Solar Spectrum Meter.

Features:

• Expanded IR measurement range out to 1700nm
  • Tsolar, Tvis, Tuv
  • IR ranges can be measured 900-1000nm and then switched to open up to 780-1700nm (no other meter does this!)
  • Calibrated to EN410 standard, ISO9050, and NFRC 300 standard (user can select each one)
  • 6 performance values displayed
  • Most accurate portable device available
  • Damage weight values (showing a relative comparison of sun damage reduction)

Here is a demonstration of IR Transmission on a popular film. Using 1/8" clear SP the top measurement is 780-1700nm and the middle is the popular 900-100nm measurement. Notice the change in transmission percentage. This is going to be fun and very easy to explain. :D

a51fb78fd6a95c330bcadb3c24d74348.jpg

Awh that would be 900 - 1000 nm not 900 - 100 nm like you had said, I just had too ............ :spit

I gotcha now Vquest :thumb Took me awhile to write the last response....darn kids. I'm picking up what you are putting down.

Really the selling point is to use against 3M.....most other meters do all the other stuff you are referring to, correct?

Edit: Damnit I can't keep up with you guys.....I should start quoting :lol

X2

Got it VQF :beer

I recently had a discussion with another window tinter about the amount of IR heat that window films will block. He was trying to tell me that normal window films did not block any IR heat at all not even one percent. I'm sure one of you guys knows but just how much IR heat does non ceramic window film stop?

I recently had a discussion with another window tinter about the amount of IR heat that window films will block. He was trying to tell me that normal window films did not block any IR heat at all not even one percent. I'm sure one of you guys knows but just how much IR heat does non ceramic window film stop?

I think what you will find is that all but one mfr has any published data on IR. Why... Because is is a deceptive measurement of window film performance.

That's a good question CTC. All films vary in their ability to filter IR. The NIR spectrum starts at 780nm right above the visible light spectrum so it can't always be assumed that a low vlt light filtering film is going to block as much NIR as say a 70% vlt film. If a film is just a dyed product with no IR absorbing component then it is pretty much not going to filter any wavelengths up in the NIR spectrum. So it really depends on what spectrally selective materials are added to the film. When added, some materials can reflect or absorb greater amounts of the 780-2500nm wavelengths than others so you thus see differences in IR rejection percentages from one product to the next.

I think what you will find is that all but one mfr has any published data on IR. Why... Because is is a deceptive measurement of window film performance.

You are right Tom, it can be deceiving but that depends on how it is presented. I can tell you that the sky is blue, but is it really blue? Yes, appears that way but technically speaking, no it is not. It comes down to context. I don't like it, but I have to live with it and compete so that is one of the reasons why I like this new meter.

The other and probably greater reason that you see more IR numbers published than ever before is that this practice is common place over in SE Asia which is one of the world's largest window film markets. Due to the marketing climate in that region, it is very difficult for a film to compete without advertised IR numbers. We experience the bleed over from that just like they are now experiencing the demand, thanks to the US market, for high quality films instead of B grade material.

Archived