Tint Slime VS Film on

Is tint slime a pure surfactant such as film-on and slip-tack?

fact is, no.

from adds alone you can tell it had color and fragrance added. check the msds on zola tools. even compare that to baby shampoo. could be similar glycols.

tint slime has not been aproved by any manufactur for use on films. maybe it comes down to politics and who wants to pay to recognize their product. but a fact that could put your reputation on the line.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Film-on can be used to "prep" the glass too.... CP did not recommend it as it is not a cleaner but then again neither is Slime! They are both touted as being a pure surfactant so in that they are the same. Scrubbies and or blades to clean glass with a bit of liquid to float the debris away is all they are. The "dirt off" or x-100 were stated to be the glass cleaning as they were a mild acidic solution....

Not intending to correct you Ryker but Tint Slime IS touted as a Cleaner and a Slip/Mounting solution. It is stated as such right on the front page of their website and their literature as well as right on the logo on their bottles.

I am aware that Slime IS stated to be a cleaner and slip/mounting solution, but my question would be IF it is a pure surfactant then what would make it a cleaner? True cleaners have to have something that can take a bite out of the dirt and grime. Any "pure surfactant" will not make a good cleaner in or of itself.

Now with that said, I will continue to use my slip solution to clean most side windows and I will use Sprayway to clean the back windows. Sides get a scrubbie and the back gets 0000 steel wool for the actual cleaning though....

oh and one film manufacture used to say "nothing better under the sun".....and most of us now know how good that really was! So just because it is stated by someone does not make it truth.

Guest MTSDan

I would really like some more insight on why people spend the extra money on these solutions? From my experience our shop has not had any problems with good old JJ soap with just a splash of yellow sun and water and our jobs come out great

I am using film on right now , what do you all think about this tint slime , I would love to try out this tint slime , although no problem with film on ?!

Soaps and shampoos take to long to dry , the tint slips around WAY too much and it's just to messy , it took me awhile too switch myself but when I did jobs took less time couse I didn't have to go check the job 10 min later to see if a tunnel popped up , it does make a difference you will be happy if you switch to a mounting solution !

Well after quite a while trying out Tint Slime I'm returning to Baby Shampoo. Over many years I never had any problem with Baby Shampoo but thought to give Tint Slime a go after reading so many good reviews about it.

It seemed to work well but on a few occaisions when having to heat a spec of dust to push the water out I noticed the glue would seperate and cause a mark in the glue. I was trying some new film at the time and put it down to that. However a few comments on a Uk tinters forum also drew attention to this, Gone back to shampoo and the problem has also gone.

Another point was I left a spray bottele a couple of weeks without use and a black algae like growth had covered the whole inside of the bottle which ihave also not had as badly with shampoo. This is not really a problem as I normally wash them out regjularly but the glue seperation issue is definitely a reason i wont be using it again.

What I have seen in the field is that some people really like and swear by Tint Slime, while others still use either baby shampoo or Film On, etc. Just like any tool, each tinter has their own preferences. Doesnt make one riht or wrong. I have often been asked to begin selling installation kits with all the nescessary tools for auto and flat glass. Problem with that is, if you ask 10 installers, they all use a totally different set up. All I can do on my end is offer them all and inform you of the characteristics of each. After that, it all comes down to preferene whether with a tool or a solution. :twocents

I see a lot of comparisons to Film-on which I only used once and didn't care for it.

I use Johnson's baby shampoo and have been happy with the slip if concentrated just right, but sometimes is a little slower to tack on side windows. Also, "sliding down" the rear window on brake light cars has been slightly tough for me, unless adding some soap, but then its a little too soapy for a quick tack.

Can any previous j.b.s. users that switched to Slime testify that you noticed improvement in these two areas?

Film-on can be used to "prep" the glass too.... CP did not recommend it as it is not a cleaner but then again neither is Slime! They are both touted as being a pure surfactant so in that they are the same. Scrubbies and or blades to clean glass with a bit of liquid to float the debris away is all they are. The "dirt off" or x-100 were stated to be the glass cleaning as they were a mild acidic solution....

Not intending to correct you Ryker but Tint Slime IS touted as a Cleaner and a Slip/Mounting solution. It is stated as such right on the front page of their website and their literature as well as right on the logo on their bottles.

I am aware that Slime IS stated to be a cleaner and slip/mounting solution, but my question would be IF it is a pure surfactant then what would make it a cleaner? True cleaners have to have something that can take a bite out of the dirt and grime. Any "pure surfactant" will not make a good cleaner in or of itself.

Now with that said, I will continue to use my slip solution to clean most side windows and I will use Sprayway to clean the back windows. Sides get a scrubbie and the back gets 0000 steel wool for the actual cleaning though....

oh and one film manufacture used to say "nothing better under the sun".....and most of us now know how good that really was! So just because it is stated by someone does not make it truth.

Ok, now we have something from a technical aspect that I can comment on with some degree of knowledge.  I work in the pharmaceutical industry and help to design cleaning programs to ensure that the equipment is clean for making drug products (just giving reference for my knowledge base).  The debate on a surfactant being a cleaner is null.  there are many different cleaners and their specific applications are based on the solubility of the soil you are cleaning.  If you are cleaning something that is highly soluble in water, then a surfactant alone is a good cleaning agent.  There are applications that require some degree of caustic or acid in order to make the soils soluble in water, but they still contain the surfactant.  So a surfactant is a neutral cleaner.

Archived