Does the "DROP" Technique work with all films, or just

Guest Dropdown

We have very good results drop rolling Vista / Lulu film. We have also used another big name mfr and had horrible experiences with large rolls stopping 1/3 or 1/2 way down the drop, and then unspooling at a angle. That caused us hours and hours more time.

I'll try to clarify... when film stops 1/3 or 1/2 way down the drop, does it always unspool at an angle or does it sometimes hold in place without unspooling so you can just stick what's unrolled on the glass and unroll the rest by hand? 

I

I

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dropdown

I've found that when I'm ready to drop a PS adhesive, after I've roll my film up and peeled back the top few inches, rolling the film tight one more time will prevent the film from unspooling even if it stops 1/2 way down  the window. 

FBO if that makes sense it might help when you attempt to drop a PS film.

Also don't use a broom handle or a helping device unless that is how you want to install from now on.

Hey DD,

I happen to agree with you - with one exception.

There are certain films which are PS only (Blackout, Whiteout White Matte, Clear 2M) which may not easily deliner.  When installing a film which is not available in a Dry/BOPP version, I would consider this to be a valid and useful technique.  It does require practice and should be considered as a last resort.

-Howard

Also don't use a broom handle or a helping device unless that is how you want to install from now on.

Hey DD,

I happen to agree with you - with one exception.

There are certain films which are PS only (Blackout, Whiteout White Matte, Clear 2M) which may not easily deliner.  When installing a film which is not available in a Dry/BOPP version, I would consider this to be a valid and useful technique.  It does require practice and should be considered as a last resort.

-Howard

Agreed. Instead of a broom stick use 3/4" PVC pipe wrapped in its own foam insulation. Have the foam extend beyond the PVC edges to eliminate any potential nicking or scratches if it were to hit someone's fine wood floors.

Guest Dropdown

Thanks Howard and Smartie. I've never tried using a tool to aid unrolling especially difficult films but since I have gotten used to installing without, I might try using pvc pipe to see if it helps me speed up the process. 

Archived