How to make patterns yourself

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame not to have access to scrap bulk (dumpster destined) PPF for pattern making as it can be applied (which involves a stretch pattern tapes aren't able to do) and traced before the scan or digitizing begins; one would think this captures the essence of how well the pattern could/should fit without guesswork of where to take out access on a tape template.

Nice instructions Sav!

We've got b-grade film that we can sell substantially discounted if you need a product to use for patterning.

Shame not to have access to scrap bulk (dumpster destined) PPF for pattern making as it can be applied (which involves a stretch pattern tapes aren't able to do) and traced before the scan or digitizing begins; one would think this captures the essence of how well the pattern could/should fit without guesswork of where to take out access on a tape template.

Nice instructions Sav!

I haven't used the clear mask, I use the paper, but like the idea of the clear. after drawing out my template, I put it on a large lexan panel on my wall, I have a camera on a tri-pod and level that with the center of the pattern, take digital photos and download into program, I use CorelDraw. then I can trace the patterns and group them together above the largest piece, usually the bumper, and then I can scale everything to the measurement of the bumper. I can then shorten according to the amount of stretch I want for each piece. once I apply each I can note changes. to make it easier, I only do half of the car and then duplicate and mate up the hood and bumper. if the bumper has different openings from side to side then I have to do a full pattern. has anyone tried using a digital pen tool? I would think this would be faster.

I use application paper then transfer that to a CALCOMP digitizer, input, make adjustments then do a test fit and work it from there. It can be a bit fiddly as the paper doesn't stretch like the film but you get used to that. I tried taking a pic and inputing that and tracing but found that if the camera wasn't perfectly perpendicular to the pattern and dead centre there was a bit of distortion as it came to the edges. You fella's that use the wide format scanner does that leave you with a jpeg to work from or can you scan to a vectorized file?

Steve.

Guest DraykeFields

I use application paper then transfer that to a CALCOMP digitizer, input, make adjustments then do a test fit and work it from there. It can be a bit fiddly as the paper doesn't stretch like the film but you get used to that. I tried taking a pic and inputing that and tracing but found that if the camera wasn't perfectly perpendicular to the pattern and dead centre there was a bit of distortion as it came to the edges. You fella's that use the wide format scanner does that leave you with a jpeg to work from or can you scan to a vectorized file?Steve.

No, in our case you don't get a vector (CAD ready) file after scanning. We scan to JPEG or TIFF (I can't remember to be honest), import into CAD and then trace and afterwards modify. Job done!