Applying vinyl over hand painted pinstripes?

So I just bought a truck to be my demo vehicle and advertising piece. I'm planning on wrapping it in matte black and have a quick question. The truck came with hand painted pinstripes and they have been on there 10+ years. I've tried the "oven off" method and the stripes are still there.

My question is if I can't get them off can I just lay the vinyl over the stripes or will they just be to noticeable?

Here are some pics:

74CAD2F0-E78D-4CB7-9B4A-BA8653460672-217

3A078492-CDE2-43FE-9531-BE20D6F67953-217

4E5597F9-D300-4F50-82D4-FF0E2BBC69F7-217

If you can find a really good painter they might be able to wet sand and buff them off

But it will probably still leave a shadow of were they were.

C2C - Thanks for the reply. I know how to wet sand and buff I was just hoping I wouldn't have to. :lol

Do you think they would stand out to bad?

I'm going to try the oven off one more time but when the weahter get's a little warmer. It was 15 here today and the truck was outside all day. Maybe the cold steel didn't allow the oven off to work properly. At least that's what a friend suggested when he took off his painted lettering on his boat. Worth a shot before I break out the wet sanding and buffing, at least I hope!

if you can't get the temp above 50 wetsanding is the way to go. I would try denatured alchol 1st. Then lacquer thinner. Wetsanding is a last resort.

by the looks of the work, its probably been done in 1 shot, an alkyd enamel.

I tried the denatured alcohol And lacquer thinner, neither made a dent. I pulled the truck inside first thing this morning and will give it a shot tonight. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks for the replys.

Guest wrapstudiomiami

Grab a couple of 12" square test pieces from your supplier and lay them down on the areas that are of concern to you.

There is something cool about 3d texture. You may find that the added visual of the ghosts of pinstripes past floats your boat.

bingo! the pinstripes might look cool "embossed" through vinyl

Archived