How to be a film supplier?

Hi 35,

Just curious as to how to become one, as to cut down costs on buying and same time supply to local tinters I guess. I am in Melbourne. How about you?

Hey Supa,

Just a few quick questions?

1. Do you not feel that the film that you buy and use now represents good value for money?

2. Does your supplier help you and your business, be it on call information, or direct local leads.. Service above and beyond?

3. Do you feel that the industry would benefit in having yet another no name film supplier around?

4. Even if you could some how acquisition a high quality product, that you would firstly be able to resell it for less than other quality products on the market?

Answer these questions and I will fill you in as to exactly what you will need to become "a supplier".

Hi GTS,

You have been great at supplying and support to me from the start till now. I am very greatful for that=] It's just something I am curious from the start, as I don't know how long I can tint for so I was thinking of other options which can help my business.

Sounds like I need unlimited funds to get it going though. I am also curious as to how people become a supplier/wholesaler of anything as it fascinates me. Hope I didn't say anything wrong as I am happy with your product, price and service, just my curiosity.

Hi GTS,

You have been great at supplying and support to me from the start till now. I am very greatful for that=] It's just something I am curious from the start, as I don't know how long I can tint for so I was thinking of other options which can help my business.

Sounds like I need unlimited funds to get it going though. I am also curious as to how people become a supplier/wholesaler of anything as it fascinates me. Hope I didn't say anything wrong as I am happy with your product, price and service, just my curiosity.

Hey Supa,

All good mate :thumb  Just asking the questions to get a gauge on where your at..

Here you go.. To become a supplier that would be around for more than 1 cycle.. (4-6 years) you will need the following..

Not in order of priority..

1. Access to quality products be it via the manufacturer directly, through a metallizer coater, or via a local distributor.

2. Warehouse

3. Inventory

4. Branding (If products are plain box)

5. Vast knowledge in all facets of window film

6. Minimum 10-20 years of industry experience

7. Clear cut warranty policies

8. Roll splitting machines

9. Cutting tables and highly contamination free work zones

10. POS/Branding material

11. Staff that have vast experience in handling window film

12. Positive sales staff and trade representitives

13. High levels of online and offline consumer exposure

14. Absolute passion for window film that drives you to answer calls, messages and emails at 1am on a Sunday.

15. Avenues for you to help grow your customers businesses

16. Deep understanding of your local target market

17. If you want to hold good stock of a range of auto, residential, commercial and speciality window film products, you will need to hold around $3-5 million in stock at any point in time.

18. Efficient purchasing avenues inc.. Online and offline payment systems.

19. Accounts payable and admin staff

20. A very good relationship between yourself and your supplier.

21. A fast and high quality shipping company

22. A large range of tools, meters, and film handling equipment

There are many, many more.. But please know that there are some great films here in Aus already, and it is a very cut throat market at the moment. Some suppliers have been around a long time.

Tinters that are here long term don't look for the cheapest price, they look for the best value for money. If you think that anyone will buy film from you just because you have it there to sell.. Think again.

quality, price, support.. That's what I want from my supplier.

"If somethings not broken, and you try and fix it.. You can only break it."

Wow!!

That's some serious planning, experience and money involved there.

Now I have a clearer picture of what it takes to be a supplier.

Respect to you and other suppliers out there, seriously, thats one huge achievement.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time out to help me understand the tinting industry a bit more. I am new to the tinting industry but I am loving it more and more everyday, and its all from the love in this amazing forum =]

Thanks

David

Hi GTS,

Hey Supa,

All good mate :thumb  Just asking the questions to get a gauge on where your at..

Here you go.. To become a supplier that would be around for more than 1 cycle.. (4-6 years) you will need the following..

Not in order of priority..

1. Access to quality products be it via the manufacturer directly, through a metallizer coater, or via a local distributor.

2. Warehouse

3. Inventory

4. Branding (If products are plain box)

5. Vast knowledge in all facets of window film

6. Minimum 10-20 years of industry experience

7. Clear cut warranty policies

8. Roll splitting machines

9. Cutting tables and highly contamination free work zones

10. POS/Branding material

11. Staff that have vast experience in handling window film

12. Positive sales staff and trade representitives

13. High levels of online and offline consumer exposure

14. Absolute passion for window film that drives you to answer calls, messages and emails at 1am on a Sunday.

15. Avenues for you to help grow your customers businesses

16. Deep understanding of your local target market

17. If you want to hold good stock of a range of auto, residential, commercial and speciality window film products, you will need to hold around $3-5 million in stock at any point in time.

18. Efficient purchasing avenues inc.. Online and offline payment systems.

19. Accounts payable and admin staff

20. A very good relationship between yourself and your supplier.

21. A fast and high quality shipping company

22. A large range of tools, meters, and film handling equipment

There are many, many more.. But please know that there are some great films here in Aus already, and it is a very cut throat market at the moment. Some suppliers have been around a long time.

Tinters that are here long term don't look for the cheapest price, they look for the best value for money. If you think that anyone will buy film from you just because you have it there to sell.. Think again.

quality, price, support.. That's what I want from my supplier.

"If somethings not broken, and you try and fix it.. You can only break it."

'And there (as Paul Harvey use to say on radio) is the rest of the story'!

you will no doubt need big dollars to start up as a film distributor and also choose your products carefully, warranties may harm you down the track

It will be hard for you to convince tinters that your film is greater than what they have been using for years especially if there's very little knowledge on the longevity of the film

best thing, get to know your tint you use now inside out and be an expert in what you do and grow your business to a point where you dont need to physicly tint if you have a limited time span you can do it....

becoming a supplier can break you for many many years, be realistic if your a rookie like myself just stick to the day to day and grow your craft.

you cant go wrong by sticking with GTS.

Archived