Pressure sesitive vs. Dry??

I feel a little dumb asking this question but I only have limited experience with flat glass. Been working on a few projects here and there and now ready for the big leagues. (I hope.) So whats the difference?? Been installing ps so far and nailing it.

Hello  nc.wlch,

The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.  That is actually a very good question and I would bet that other members and readers of this forum have been wondering the same thing.

My company (EWF) sells both.  Distributing window film has been our one and only business since 1982.

You are not alone in your mastery of PS.  Plenty of flat glass installers all over the world will go their entire careers without so much as touching a dry adhesive film.  One debunked industry myth is that dry will last longer.  This is not true.  A modern, quality, acrylic PS adhesive will hold up quite well over time.  When the time does come for removal, dry adhesive will prove to be much more laborious and time consuming.  Removing film is never fun, but PS is generally (but not always) easier to deal with.

So what is the key advantage of dry?

It involves an installation technique referred to as the "California Roll" or "Drop Roll" technique.  Once this technique is mastered, it lends speed as well as cleanliness to your application (both are great things for a tinter, right?).  

You can't drop roll PS (or at least not easily).  Dry adhesive film, particularly if it involves a BOPP liner really makes the drop roll technique much easier.  You can be standing 10FT up on a ladder and just "snap it down".  When done properly by a seasoned pro - it is a beautiful thing to behold.

Delinering a piece of PS film is less of a joy.  First of all - it resists.  Second, if the delinered film touches itself, game over.  And it's not much fun to handle a piece of 72" film on a hot summer day.  Dry adhesive film can touch itself and it will not bond.

I hope this has helped to shed some light on the PS vs. Dry debate.  If you have any further questions - please do not hesitate to call or email me.

Howard

Express Films

(800)FILM-NOW

Howard summed it up well. Having installed plenty of both, I will tell you there is a time and place for both. If you are doing 300 pieces 60x96.. Dry is the way to go. Little 6x10 TDL ..ps is preferred.

I feel a little dumb asking this question but I only have limited experience with flat glass. Been working on a few projects here and there and now ready for the big leagues. (I hope.) So whats the difference?? Been installing ps so far and nailing it.

Lol...... Don't worry mate, I'm pretty sure every tinter has asked this before

Archived