1990 Nissan Skyline R32 Rear Window Shrinking HELP PLEASE!!

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, sorry to be asking amateur questions but we all have to start somewhere. I have been having heaps of trouble trying to shrink a 1 piece rear window on a 1990 Nissan Skyline R32 4 door sedan. I have been tinting for about 4 months now. I have been able to do a few back windows which have turned out good. But this I always seem to have creases in the top left and top right mostly. Its about 85% mint but now matter what technique I try it gets creases up in the top or bottom. I have tried moving H pattern up and down but no luck. Its the excess film on the corners I have the issue with, when heated it's like the film does not like the way it I am trying to shrink it. And it seems like it's getting to the point where the film has either had too much heat and can't be shrunk in that area. I have been using both a wet shrink with solution (Slip G), and also a dry shrink with plexus. Then using hand to break down big fingers and then using black Teflon card to finish off. The films I have tried are both MEP Lumar JB ATR35, and also Johnsons SP40 and GSN40 films. I have to do this again tomorrow and would really love some help over here, this forum has some very talented tinters and I hope you don't mind helping me out. Cheers Peter. Here are some pics.

R32Rearwindow2_zps2c2ee338.jpg

R32rearwindow_zps84e48716.jpg

Guest angelsautotint

try getting rid of the H and just do the horizontal line. it will take some pressure off of the corners. When working on 1/4 of the window do it evenly across and you are working down. this will also relieve some pressure but itll take a bit longer. See if that helps while learning. Good luck!

It's similar to the older Honda Accord back glass. I would try it like this. Use soap or dryer sheet , and dry shrink it. Put your stripe across the center and just a little up the sides ( not from top to bottom). Maybe 6 inches. Cut the bottom like a normal pre shrink cut, and leave the top long. Now the biggest thing that helps me on glass like this is how you cut the sides. Start at the bottom an cut up the side , but don't follow the curve of the glass all they way up. Just go straight up so the film hangs over the side of the glass toward the top. Then as you shrink the top you can pull it and shrink the corners out to the side. Hope this all makes sense to you.

I've done the one and only after someone else did a 5 piece install and left the overlaps.

Can't remember now how difficult it was but I did take the rear shelf out due to it having been previously tinted and I wanted the installation super clean with no glue residue.

Devil

Hey thanks guys for the feedback and ideas. AngelsAutos did you mean when starting on say the top left corner work the fingers down when heating, I thought you need to shrink upwards?

Jake, I didn't realize you could pull the film up and shrink it. Is their any special way of doing that. Do you lift the film off the glass and pull it and then shrink it? I have seen some people on you tube pulling the snot out of some film when say doing a beetle rear window, but I wasn't sure if that needed to be a special type of film to shrink that way. Is my heat gun setting ok for shrinking do you think, too hot or not hot enough? thanks keep the great ideas coming :-)

Should I start shrinking anywhere in particular as I have been starting in the middle left and working out to the edges. I have been cutting all of my film exact to the window edge screen, leaving no overhang.

How do you stretch and heat the film correctly will it just shrink down to the window curvature when pulling it out?

Thanks everyone

Archived