We've all seen the way car manufacturers are making such flat rear screens on cars these days that are really prone to enormous sun damage due to their flat angle.

A perfect case in question is the Camry(s) and here downunder the amount of them I see with bubbled up rear screens is everywhere and these are not old models but current.

Now with cars like the new 2014 Mazda 6 sedan I did the other day, watch these rears go to that big tint shop in the sky in no time at all too.

I predict with some film mannys, within a couple of summers down here.

Even more emphasis will have to be placed on mannys to produce even better solar control films if they are to ever last even just a few years....5.

Devil :trustme

We've all seen the way car manufacturers are making such flat rear screens on cars these days that are really prone to enormous sun damage due to their flat angle.

A perfect case in question is the Camry(s) and here downunder the amount of them I see with bubbled up rear screens is everywhere and these are not old models but current.

Now with cars like the new 2014 Mazda 6 sedan I did the other day, watch these rears go to             that big tint shop in the sky in no time at all too.

Even more emphasis will have to be placed on mannys to produce even better solar control films if they are to ever last even just a few years....5.

Have a look around Devil, I bet you will find that the majority of the bubbled rear screens are on cars with inbuilt antennas in the rear screen and the film installed is just a nr dyed product.

I have long believed that these films just do not hold up in the Australian conditions.

It is no surprise then that the majority of the r&r work I do is on Camry and Falcon rear screens, as these cars have inbuilt antennas , are generally tinted at the dealership level with the cheapest option film that doesn't interfere with signals..a 1 ply nr dyed film.

I will never use the cheapest option in my business and my warranty record is virtually nil.

Now with cars like the new 2014 Mazda 6 sedan I did the other day, watch these rears go to             that big tint shop in the sky in no time at all too.

Have a look around Devil, I bet you will find that the majority of the bubbled rear screens are on cars with inbuilt antennas in the rear screen and the film installed is just a nr dyed product.

:bingo

With the introduction of signal friendly metal based films and ceramics, it will be a thing of the past... It will simply come down to the longevity of the film in question. Sorry to ruin the prediction Dev..

Anyways.. I love tinting flat screens :DD

The failures we're talking about have little to do with film composition. Bubbling is caused by adhesive failure due to prolonged UV exposure. Devil is right when he talks about flatter rearscreens, because the angle of exposure is more extreme. Cheaper dealer / dyed / 1ply films have cheaper adhesives and are therefore far more prone to early failure. The only thing that protects our films (and everything behind them) from damage is the UV inhibitor that is built into the adhesive. If you disagree, try using a standard film in an external application and see how long it lasts.

Here in Florida, I see more Mustangs and Honda Accords cruising around all bubbled. I agree with the others. It is cheap film. I have yet to have 1 vehicle come back in that condition with my film in 12 years.

Of course it's dyed film. Doesn't even have to be "cheap" signal friendly films previously being only 1ply dyed is the reason these films fail. The problem is these cars are usually all from dealerships using the above mentioned method of cutting cost, however, then feeding the consumer the bs of how they just use the best..... And so on people keep thinking tinting is shite.... The less poor film that goes out the better.

Then again, this is a common scenario too:

My brother who knows I'm a tinter and listens to me talk tint shite all day, even said to me can u redo my Camry rear screen, the guy must have done it himself there's bubbles everywhere!

:facepalm ....

If only there was a way to educate people

I think the point you are all missing with my post is that because the slant of rear screens in modern cars is so severe as compared to near vertical side glass on the same car, these rears are failing badly where the sides show no sun degradation at all....and more is to come!

Devil

Hey Dev,

Sorry for my previous post.

You are right in many ways. The angle of the glass can play a major part, but I guess when you see the bubbling occur it is almost certainly confined to rear screens with aerial or GPS built in to the glass. If you have a film such as say.. Ultima from Llumar or Global's HP, you will see the film last many, many a year. We all are the victim of the dealers that decided to just use a check a$$ film on all of the sinclair ford vehicles from around 2000 onwards. If we see Nexfil flood the market without good warranty representation over the next few years we will see it all over again. That goes for any cheap a$$ NR film that some fly in supplier decides they can get rich quick from and fly out.

Fingers crossed.

I think the point you are all missing with my post is that because the slant of rear screens in modern cars is so severe as compared to near vertical side glass on the same car, these rears are failing badly where the sides show no sun degradation at all....and more is to come!Devil

Sorry Dev, I actually did understand what you were getting at, and yes I agree the angle of the glass would accelerate the ageing of the film as the film will be subject to a much larger heat load than that on the side glass throughout its lifetime. That being said, I have always used the best quality films from just about all of the manufactures in the Aussie market, and get practically nil warranties because of this, even on those cars you mention.

I still maintain the real reason we are seeing the bubbling is that tinters are taking the cheap , low quality nr option rather than going the other way and installing a quality ceramic film, or a hybrid dyed/ metallised film,as by my experience, most hybrid HP films don't really interfere with signals all that much anyway.

BTW - a good test to gauge if you might have problems with reception issues - before tinting, turn the radio onto an am station, get a handful of steel wool and rub the outside of the rear screen. If you don't hear any distortion, you will most likely have no problems with installing a HP film to that glass, I would still avoid full metal films though.

Archived