ugh windshields

I got off work early from my 9 to 5. I went to tint a friend's windshield. I've done a few and they have all turned out fine. After about six hours and three pieces of tint. I finally called it a day. I'm going on vacation for a week an am going to have to come back to it. The first attempt I had a small crease right in the driver's line of view. Second I had an unacceptable amount of trash.I'm assuming from the garage window being left open beside the truck. Third looked fine but I went to put the brow on top and I had some bubbles once again in the driver's direct view. I think these came from the squeegee hitting the windshield when I put the banner on. I'm thinking next time try to reverse roll. Frankie really wasnt cutting it. Also I'm going to have the truck all day. I'm going to do the windshield in the morning and banner later in the day. Any other advice?

Learn the reverse roll. Start on the passenger side and start rolling it to the drivers. Once you get it by the visor, fold the visor and rest the film that has not been unrolled yet on it. You can then walk around to the other side without the film falling and finish. As far as the banner, I always try letting the film dry for awhile before installing it if I can. Good Luck!

You aren't worried about all that water flowing behind the dash, especially with multiple attempts? I agree with the reverse roll method, but you still use a bunch of water. I would be worried about it seeping into a CPM or comparable behind the dash, on newer cars especially.

I have the theory of if it can go wrong it will go wrong. I know there are risk with doing the windshields and I usually warn the customer of that. So far I haven't had any issues with the ones that I have done. I'm sure it will happen one day. I try and keep my water to a minimum while doing this.

Watch out for the  Chevy Silverados from 2011 to 2013. I won't do the windshields on them anymore. The 2 that I have done water dripped down into the brake switch keeping the trucks from going into gear. You have to locate the switch and use a blow gun to get the water out. 

Watch out for the  Chevy Silverados from 2011 to 2013. I won't do the windshields on them anymore. The 2 that I have done water dripped down into the brake switch keeping the trucks from going into gear. You have to locate the switch and use a blow gun to get the water out. 

yep, that happened to me on a escalade. pita! was stuck in the bay for 6 hrs before I could get it to pop in gear.

Guest smoky

I Do 5 to 10 windshields a week i reverse roll all of them i also roll up paper towels at the bottom to catch most of the water when cleaning them, on most if there is enough room.If you do them when they a are cool it does not take that much water. i also use a more slippery solution so i dont have to use as much water. My biggest issue is breaking the windsheilds  about 1 1/2  every year just from taking off mirrors. I get 100.00 per each one. take me about 20 mins on most vehicles.. hope this helps  

Archived