"Australian Standards" U factors etc

Hey guys,

A few months back i did a job for an airline at sydney airport and the airport building guy has since rejected my JWF spec sheet saying it  was not tested in australia and does not meet autralian standards, furthermore  he believes that window film is illegal to isntall on any glass surface in australia without australian testing data to authorize it.

has anyone else had to  get australian testing done to comply to "law" as he says it is?

any other brands of film out there that do testing in australia on all different thickness glass in timber / aluminium / frameless applications? this guy says i need data for 10mm glass in ally frames

furthermore to this, the film or glass must be removed within 14 days or the airline will face financial loss, does this mean i have to remove the film for free and give a refund because i could not provide this so called australian standard approved window film ?

film used was ss20 and sv40 (to match 1 existing window) and we all know a silver 20 is one of your best performing films regardless of manufacturer

so i heard back from the builder and the airport guy wants specific glazing data for this film glazed with the specific aluminum frames on the specific glass its installed on  for each specific sized window lol

well this jobs going to suck, il have to refund $1500 , pay for another days parking at the itnernational airport (not cheap, world most expensive parking structure i am told) a day off work where i could make money.

sometimes i wonder why i even am in business when assholes make us lose so much money (im not well off financially so to potentially lose a few grand in a day is a big hit for me

Hey mates, when you were asked to quote this job, were you asked to comply with any specific Australian standards?

I am assuming you have been contracted by the builder, not directly by the airport - correct?

If you have provided the builder with what he asked for (and provided he has paid you?) then it's the builder who has the problem with the airport, not you!  :thumb

Exactly mate, if you have a quote signed by the builder and you have provided what he has asked for then dot refund a thing. If he has some sort of contract you signed detailing any specs that you had to meet and you have not met them then yes your bad. If not, his bad, an he has to pay you to remove it. Just like anything, if they sake for a service and you have a wuote(which is a legal document) signed and approved to go ahead by the builder that contracted you and it says nothing about the actual target your supposed to reach then it's not your problem.

About the testing for Australia thing, I'm pretty sure it's tested on a global scale so no problem there either.....

I think

no quotations were signed and i did the job directly for the airline not the builder, not the airport, the specs i gave them they said should be fine and they would forward them on to the builder to then sort out.

I have been working with JWF about this and they have sent me some info to forward on to the builder

this is the info i have received from JWF

The AFRC has stated on their own website that "The output values from the testing are comparable between the NFRC and AFRC, however as Australia is using metric units the numbers will be different". So any test figures produced from the NFRC, are backed up by the AFRC ..... This is stated on the AFRC website here - http://www.afrc.org.au/FAQRetrieve.aspx?ID=41938

However, if you go to the AFRC website they do list JWF products specs. You can also search for systems based on Film Manufacturer / Frame Material / Window Type / & Glazing Type. This can be found here - http://www.afrccpd.net/search.aspx

Below are specs of SS20 tested on 3mm clear glass, and also 6mm clear glass. It should also be noted that ALL Johnson Flat Glass Films reject 99% of hamful UV rays.

SS20 - Solar Silver 20 3mm 6mm Colour Silver Silver Visible Light Transmission 22% 22% Solar Energy Rejected 74% 72% Shading Co-efficient 0.3 0.33 Solar Heat Gain Co-efficient 0.026 0.28 U Factor 5.56 5.45 Visible Light Reflection 51% 48% Solar Energy Absorbed 31% 46% Glare Reduction 76% 75% Fade Reduction 78% 77%

Further to this our films are also tested by an independent laboratory accredited by the Australian Fenestration Rating Council. And to this are even WERS rated.

so i think i shouldn't have anything to worry about, i think the specifications this guy at the  airport wants are specs for low e glass as in the glass itself which this is not that product

fail to see the massive deal seeing all the other glass has old bronze / silver / dark tint across all the other offices of different airlines in the same building

so how do you guys get quotes signed off that the go ahead is verbal on the phone, i dont drive 40 misn to get a signature after they have confirmed they want to do the job, id have to add on $200 every job just to do that

Their verbal acceptance of your quote is fine.

The only issue would be if you were asked to comply with a specific standard.

If no, then all is fine.

You appear to have everything covered with the information JWF have provided.

Any job over $1000 I always get written confirmation..... Just incase.

If the airline has taken the responsibility to have the job done themself then it's their responsibility first and foremost. Regardless. Then they can try to pass the buck on to you, but if it needs to be fixed "urgently" I would tell em your on holidays :D

Archived