Is it legal in Texas?

Have been considering offering windshield tint but am concerned about the legality in Texas. I understand that clear film (70% or higher vlt) is allowed but do state inspection stations realize this?

Do shops that offer w/s film have customers sign waivers?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Have been considering offering windshield tint but am concerned about the legality in Texas. I understand that clear film (70% or higher vlt) is allowed but do state inspection stations realize this?

Do shops that offer w/s film have customers sign waivers?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

You may want to recheck the state law. According to the IWFA window tinting rules and laws, it shows that in Texas, you are only allowed to install the film on a windshield to either the as1 line or 5" width. From what I gather, even the clearest of films that come down below that limit would be considered illegal unless the customer has a medical exemption.  

Is everything really bigger in Texas...???

Anyway if you're concerned I would just not offer it. But having a customer sign a generic waiver won't negate any legal consequences from your end. Possibly-and only possibly...if you guys have a medical exemption in your state, having someone sign something stating they DO have a medical exemption, you MAY be ok since medical records are protected and you are not legally entitled to see any medical documentation. Possibly them just signing a form stating they have one could put the legal obligation on them. Just a thought.

Is everything really bigger in Texas...???

Anyway if you're concerned I would just not offer it. But having a customer sign a generic waiver won't negate any legal consequences from your end. Possibly-and only possibly...if you guys have a medical exemption in your state, having someone sign something stating they DO have a medical exemption, you MAY be ok since medical records are protected and you are not legally entitled to see any medical documentation. Possibly them just signing a form stating they have one could put the legal obligation on them. Just a thought.

Interesting...haven't thought of that. Is there a shop in Texas that does this and would like to enlighten us on how you justify tint on windshields?

Archived