CDA removal question

Been using my triumph with a pipe for removal but it's still a nightmare. I heard that if you take an old liner or some painters plastic and squeegee it on and let the sun beat it for a few hours the film will peel off like

Butter. If anyone's done this before please let me know how it worked for you. Got 2 floors in NYC 1500sqft each and already did one floor(took me 2 days).

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no magic bullet to removing CDF unless its a 9mm, 38, 45, etc.

Best method is to take 2" swipes with a scraper for as long as you can carry it, say 8-12". I have found comma or parenthesis type swipes work better than straight on. I then grab the scraped up film and yank it, pulling up as much as it'll allow before tearing itself to break point. Systematic is keep.

Once all the polyester is up sponge on citrus based cleaner/degreaser, allow to soak about 30 seconds, repeat the sponge on, let soak about 20 seconds and start scraping up adhesive. Do not attempt to soak the entire pane at once with the soaking stage. You can also use X100/DirtOff straight however, it is advisable to cover the surrounding so the acidity of the product does not damage nearby surfaces. This should be done with the citrus cleaner too.

Good luck.

Best method is to take 2" swipes with a scraper for as long as you can carry it, say 8-12". I have found comma or parenthesis type swipes work better than straight on. I then grab the scraped up film and yank it, pulling up as much as it'll allow before tearing itself to break point. Systematic is keep.

Once all the polyester is up sponge on citrus based cleaner/degreaser, allow to soak about 30 seconds, repeat the sponge on, let soak about 20 seconds and start scraping up adhesive. Do not attempt to soak the entire pane at once with the soaking stage. You can also use X100/DirtOff straight however, it is advisable to cover the surrounding so the acidity of the product does not damage nearby surfaces. This should be done with the citrus cleaner too.

Good luck.

I've heard that MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) works very well too. Have you heard of this?

Yes, exactly right and attack it like you hate it. The KISS principle, too many people always want to over complicate this.

Good idea Smartie, and it does seem to work, but much easier and faster to just pop in a fresh blade, spray on the slip and keep scraping. Once to remove the adhesive, once more to double check and then up goes the new film.I've tried just about everything now and keep coming back to this simple solution.

Good luck.

I've heard that MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) works very well too. Have you heard of this?

Though it works well against adhesives it is a volatile chemical that requires chemical resistant gloves, eye wear and respiratory protection. Using it would be akin to spray painting the entire room and expecting everybody nearby to go on about their business as if the air were clear. Long term exposure to the vapors is like sniffing spray paint, it'll eat your brain cells in no time, not to mention what it might be doing to the liver.

Just say, no.

This stuff is so easy to put up but a PITA to remove. Believe it or not 65% of the windows came right off then I just scraped glue. But the ones that didn't there was no peeling. Came off in flakes. Now they want another 2 floors removed and installed. Not gonna complain because it's work and a lot of it but why couldn't it be PS

Smartie. What do you think are the health effects of breathing in window film dust? I have never seen literature stating that installers should wear protective gear. It's as if the industry is playing the ignorance is bliss card on this one.

I wouldn't be surprised if removing 30 year old tint is as harmful as breathing in silica or asbestos.

Smartie. What do you think are the health effects of breathing in window film dust? I have never seen literature stating that installers should wear protective gear. It's as if the industry is playing the ignorance is bliss card on this one.

I wouldn't be surprised if removing 30 year old tint is as harmful as breathing in silica or asbestos.

EXISTENCE!! He wasn't commenting about the hazards of the old film, but to the chemical used by another member to help break down the adhesive of CDA film!

Archived