CDA removal question

Hi Ocalastinter,

Looking at the MSDS for the adhesive, all of the precautions pertain to accidental ingestion or skin contact when the adhesive is still in the liquid state.  You may also see warnings about prolonged inhalation/exposure to fumes.

I do not see anything about risks after it has cured on the window.

My guess is that you are probably safe, but I am no expert.  During dry scraping, some of it may become airborne as a powder or as fine dust particulates.  To what extent and if that is harmful - I do not know.   I don't think anyone would criticize you if you wanted to play it safe and wear a mask.  Some may consider that to be overkill, but I would certainly understand it if someone were to suggest it.

-Howard

I smoke over a pack of cigarettes a day, no way am I worried about what might be floating around while scrapping film.  :lol

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ocalastinter,

Looking at the MSDS for the adhesive, all of the precautions pertain to accidental ingestion or skin contact when the adhesive is still in the liquid state.  You may also see warnings about prolonged inhalation/exposure to fumes.

I do not see anything about risks after it has cured on the window.

My guess is that you are probably safe, but I am no expert.  During dry scraping, some of it may become airborne as a powder or as fine dust particulates.  To what extent and if that is harmful - I do not know.   I don't think anyone would criticize you if you wanted to play it safe and wear a mask.  Some may consider that to be overkill, but I would certainly understand it if someone were to suggest it.

-Howard

If a person has allergies to dust, a particle mask protects during cdf film removal.

There is no chemical/health concern in this scenario, only dust.

Some wet the film when it shows this type flaking and dusting when removed. 

Unless you're the person that used the commode this morning where I found like a half roll of tissue paper spread over the seat ass protection, no issues to worry over.

the person that used the commode this morning where I found like a half roll of tissue paper spread over the seat ass protection

That was me Smartie.  Sorry you had to clean up after me.

Just kidding.

I completely understand anyone who chooses to don a mask during a crusty CDF scrape job.

-Howard

While tinting Legacy Tower in downtown Denver, CO, I happened across two floors that the film removal crew missed. So I took my scrap liners from previous floors, wetted the glass, and applied the liners just as we do for PS auto film removal. I didn't squeegee the liners...just wetted the glass and placed the liners on. The next day I returned to those 2 floors...over 1000 sq. ft. of glass per floor...and all of the film except that on the north facing glass was laying on the floor with the adhesive still on the film. And the north floor glass film came off easily with my short handle triumph.

Even just "bagging" old window film for an hour makes it much easier to blade off.

Btw. I've never worn a mask to remove film. Of course I've never used MEK or ammonia either. I use Formula 409 to soften adhesive before I scrape it off. MEK causes all sorts of long-term health defects including cancers and digestive disorders. I plan on tinting for another 15 years and so avoid using harsh chemicals.

Was is CDA film or PS you did this on

... and applied the liners just as we do for PS auto film removal. I didn't squeegee the liners...just wetted the glass and placed the liners on. The next day I returned to those 2 floors...over 1000 sq. ft. of glass per floor...and all of the film except that on the north facing glass was laying on the floor with the adhesive still on the film. And the north floor glass film came off easily with my short handle triumph.

I was working on a project and we did the same.. bag the day before. The old film was a mix of PS and CDF... and while ours did not just fall off the glass, it made a HUGE difference in removing the old film. 

Had it not worked, we probably would have just walked from the project.

Archived