CDA removal question

Ocalas- I understand exactly what he was talking about. That is why I asked him about window film dust specifically. If anyone knows, feel free to enlighten me.

My guess is there will be crickets.

I ask myself this question whenever I have to strip tint. Leaves a nasty smell and makes ya wonder what health effects if any that will have on you.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ocalas- I understand exactly what he was talking about. That is why I asked him about window film dust specifically. If anyone knows, feel free to enlighten me.

My guess is there will be crickets.

Wear a dust mask if you have concerns when removing very old acrylic hard coat, add extra soap in your water and keep it soaked and pull it slow if it comes off in large pieces from the bottom up, if it rolls up as you scrape it even better.

Yea we wear respirators when removing film. If you're looking into masks, Try to use a mask filter rated p100. We use these because they are recommended for lead and asbestos removal. However not knowing exactly what is being released and at what micron means there is no gaurentee the masks are protecting us.

Yea we wear respirators when removing film. If you're looking into masks, Try to use a mask filter rated p100. We use these because they are recommended for lead and asbestos removal. However not knowing exactly what is being released and at what micron means there is no gaurentee the masks are protecting us.

What do customers say when they see you with a mask on ........... ?

When a customer asks why we use masks we just tell them that we're not certain what film it is nor what might be in it. Clients tend to understand because we are up close to the film scrapping away. It's evident that they do not think there are particules ciculating throughout the room. It's unclear to me if that is the case or not.

Hi Ocalastinter,

Well...  I never went to med school and I am not sure if Smartie did either.  Whatever opinion I might have on the matter of health risks is certainly not an educated one.

I do agree with Smart 100% on the use of MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).  We keep about 750ml of it around the warehouse for testing purposes.  First of all, the stuff is very expensive.  Second, the smell/fumes are so strong & nasty, there is just no way you would want to be exposed to it for any length of time.  Whenever I have occasion to work with it, I go outside.  I will not open that bottle in a closed/unventilated room.

I have heard some crusty old veterans tell me that good old fashioned elbow grease is the key to removing it. 

-Howard

Hi Ocalastinter,

Well...  I never went to med school and I am not sure if Smartie did either.  Whatever opinion I might have on the matter of health risks is certainly not an educated one.

I do agree with Smart 100% on the use of MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).  We keep about 750ml of it around the warehouse for testing purposes.  First of all, the stuff is very expensive.  Second, the smell/fumes are so strong & nasty, there is just no way you would want to be exposed to it for any length of time.  Whenever I have occasion to work with it, I go outside.  I will not open that bottle in a closed/unventilated room.

I have heard some crusty old veterans tell me that good old fashioned elbow grease is the key to removing it. 

-Howard

Howard, 

I guess I was looking for more of a answer to what is in the adhesive that could be a health risk. We never wear masks while installing, why would there be a concern with removing it using just plain slip solution and elbow grease? Thanks

Hi Ocalastinter,

Looking at the MSDS for the adhesive, all of the precautions pertain to accidental ingestion or skin contact when the adhesive is still in the liquid state.  You may also see warnings about prolonged inhalation/exposure to fumes.

I do not see anything about risks after it has cured on the window.

My guess is that you are probably safe, but I am no expert.  During dry scraping, some of it may become airborne as a powder or as fine dust particulates.  To what extent and if that is harmful - I do not know.   I don't think anyone would criticize you if you wanted to play it safe and wear a mask.  Some may consider that to be overkill, but I would certainly understand it if someone were to suggest it.

-Howard

Archived