Could you recommend a good knife for PPF? ( Help me! )

Hello eveyrone! How are you guys?

This is kugs from South Korea.   :ninja

I have been using patterns with the Grapthtec ploter for  PPF installation.

However I just recognized that I have to use and learn the hand-cut skill for my customer's full-PPF needs.

I am sure that there is a limitation if I depend only patterns from plotter.

so I am doing like self-traning-hand-cutting for full-ppf without SW based-plotter patterns.

My issue is that I am very very afraid of cutting a knife on cars. :facepalm2

becuase It can be knife-scrach-marks on cars.

So could you guys recommend a good knife for PPF?  

Is there any technology based good knife like anti-scratch-knife or someting? 

Thank you for all guys.  

Hello. My best advice is to get a "nice" fender from a scrap yard. Put on ppf then practice cutting. Score the top coat, don't cut it. After you score you will tear thethe film the rest of the way. No special knife sorry. It's just a special touch. Some use carbon blades some stainless steel. I use Carbon. Good luck and practice makes perfect my friend.

CD jewel cases are easier to get and handle while you are practising. The blade has to be sharp, and I mean very sharp. Ideally you should feel the blade almost dragging and making a slight squealing noise with almost no pressure at all. If the blade glides across the film then it isn't sharp enough get a new one. Then practise, practise and practise some more. I use swann and moreton surgical blades ( http://www.swann-morton.com/product/17.php ) with a retractable handle (I have a habit of putting the blades in my pocket) but other installers I know use snap off blades, it comes down to personal preference. Oh and did I say you have to practise.

Steve

Guest Gratefullaz

I have 2

"OLFA XA-1" has black max blades and a fiberglass rubber handle which is a little more comfortable than my

"NT Pro red dot (AD-2P)" which is very slim and feels more like a surgical tool . The AD-2P version uses a 30 degree blade (BAD-21) as opposed to the normal 60  degrees (BA-160) and gives it more of a fine point. I feel you can be more precise and have a better feel with the red dot

NT Red Dot's are the way to go. They accommodate either angle blade you want and the weight of the holder is perfect. Plus it's not plastic so you don't have to worry about it breaking so easily. Go with the Olfa black carbon snap off blades. By far the best blade for cutting PPF. The angle of the blades is certainly a preference on the installer. The best practice though is cutting on the film while it's still on the liner. Grab some scraps and practice scoring it. If you go all the way through and cut the liner, you've gone too deep. I find that with the black carbons, you don't need to apply pressure and takes the guessing out of cutting/trimming. 

Archived