Expanding my shop to window tinting

Guest Cjcaraudio

Guest Cjcaraudio

I currently have a 4 bay car audio and video shop and have been thinking about expanding to the tinting market. I've been doing a lil research on which tint to buy because I currently have access to viper,solarfx,and Fahrenheit. I think I'm going to go with the solar fx brand because of all the reviews. I was looking to hire someone but I think I'm going to just reteach myself I haven't done any window tinting in about 8 yrs. I'm not a pro at all but I have at least done about three cars but I'm still learning. Can anyone provide me with some tips for beginners with a lil experience? I need to know what rolls should I stock as far as inches not %. Also what tools are best because I have access to all of that and is the 2 ply the better film??? About how many cars can you get done off a 100ft roll?? Thanks guys

all your questions have been answered many times.... so try the search and I bet you will find more answers than you need.

As for what to do for a "tinter", I would suggest seeing if there are any in your area that would do a "semi-mobile" set up and you set a day for them with the appointments set up.  Provide a bay and them some good money for their time.  That is what I do with a bunch of shops.  I do the work, with my tint, my tools, and my warranty.  The provide the space and set the appointments for a percentage of the work.  They get 10 - 20 percent of what I charge for the day.  It is not set up for the shop to make a great amount on the front end of the work but you should be able to use it to your advantage as they will bring in more work or add to what you already offer.

You get a, hopefully, seasoned professional and you don't have the headache of trying to learn something new, just 3 cars under your belt you are still going to "learn" a LOT, or training someone....

Good advice Ryker. This is what I used to do many years ago. It was worth it to the businesses that I use to go and subcontract to be happy with a 10-20% STRESS FREE arrangement. Just food for thought but it does require finding the right tinter.

Guest Cjcaraudio

Yea I was thinking that but my reputation is everything and guys around here always lie about what they can do. I wanted to do it myself so I can have less a headache and not have to worry about somebody messing up a car. I just miss so much money every week because people rather get stuff done all at once. Also I know the profits on the window tinting business and wouldn't mind the money. My fiancée is going to eventually do I just wanna get my feet wet then train her. I have a couple of my own vehicles to train on so I'm gonna perfect everything before I do any customers cars

What is your training on tint? If it is just doing your own and a few others then you should look at a class like Stan fosters. Get the best of ingredients to be able to really do it. I had 9 years of diy with a bunch of tint under my belt before I ever thought about doing it as a business.

Ask yourself if you really have the time to learn it and do it right. If you have a successful audio and electronic business going then you might be better to grow it. Higher end audio and video and lighting and all about 12 volt. I would rather do a high end audio system than multiple tint jobs for the same profit.

I will bring a most bmw/7 series, most Audi/A8, most VW.........the 2 door E Class/CL Class.....you will spend almost the whole day figuring these cars out.......by the time you get one of these cars done....You down the hole in your time and films....

Hire someone..........because when one of these cars come in.....Your whole day is gone if you have no experience in one of these make and model....worst of all....you will lose that customer on 12V when he figure out why you took a whole day to tint his car and didn't get it right....

Hope this help....been there....done that....and also lost my ass off in the past......

Archived