Johnson ceramic film. Adhesive failure after 8 years.

just wanted to post here that I've had Johnson ceramic 35% tint on my car the last 8 years. Car is parked outside 24/7 in Los Angeles.

Today I noticed my back glass adhesive has failed at the bottom of the glass, near the brake light.

It looks like it might have been where a finger was, as the adhesive failure is in the shape of a finger.

Also there are "check marks" in the tint adhesive in random places on all windows around the car.

I wasn't too happy with the installation 8 years ago, as the installer installed the tint the same way they do regular dyed film.

If you do that, you get major ghosting.

Why would there be all these marks in the adhesive? I have never touched or cleaned the film itself....

2rxz2o5.jpg

10mpqhd.jpg

348oht4.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree Ryker.  That statements gives people all kinds of wrong ideas in their head of what they should get.  :thumbdown

I tell my customers that I don't stock the 5 year films which will only last 3-5 years, and I only stock the "lifetime" warranty film. But I also make sure they understand that "my lifetime warranty" is considered 8-10 years.  I actually say--"nothing is lifetime. because the sun will kill anything" , mentioning things like the paint and interior. You just can't stop it, but you can try to make it last longer.  Which is what I can help with.  :thumb

As for the Johnsons on the car pman..... My above statement should cover what I think.  But I'm pretty sure I tinted my  brothers 83 T-bird in Johnsons about 12 years ago.  It has been in the same situation as yours, outside 24-7.  All the film on his car has done, is gotten lighter.  No real failure of anything that I have noticed.  As Ocala mentioned.  Johnson is a pretty good film. 

As for the install part of it you mentioned..

8 years ago, as the installer installed the tint the same way they do regular dyed film.

If you do that, you get major ghosting."   :?

Depending on the type of vehicle, shrinking is usually necessary with ALL FILMS ??  so I'm missing the problem here unless you know if another way to install film without shrinking it??  If you had a problem with it 8 years ago, why didn't you go back then??   I haven't used Johnsons in many years, but if someone will check me on this, I don't think they offered a Ceramic of any kind back then, so I'm pretty sure everything was a dyed or sputtered film.  

I just don't get waiting 8 years to state that he had issues with the install.

I wonder if the oil he is using lasts that long too,or the tires ,or the windshield wipers.

I wonder if he is related to the woman who called our shop a week or so ago.

" Can you tell me who put the plastic film on my Toyota 14 years ago? It was on there when I bought it" :facepalm2

I just posted some pics in the first post of the many random marks and lines in the adhesive. Anyone have any idea why that happened? I have never touched or cleaned the film on the back glass.

Guys, I'm not complaining. I'm just giving some realworld data because it seems not many people use Johnson Film.

All I'm saying is "I used Johnson Insulatir and the adhesive failed after 8 years"

But my other car's Suntek film has lasted 10 years so far without any adhesive failure, also parked outside 24/7 under same conditions.

So you can say  I'm a bit underwhelmed.

And you are complaining about an automotive film that has lasted 8 years before failing? Sounds like a decent film IMO! 

I just don't get waiting 8 years to state that he had issues with the install.

Other than the ghosting, the film was stuck on the window just fine, so I let it pass.

Depending on the type of vehicle, shrinking is usually necessary with ALL FILMS ??  so I'm missing the problem here unless you know if another way to install film without shrinking it??  If you had a problem with it 8 years ago, why didn't you go back then??   I haven't used Johnsons in many years, but if someone will check me on this, I don't think they offered a Ceramic of any kind back then, so I'm pretty sure everything was a dyed or sputtered film.  

From what I understand, you have to shrink the whole film evenly, not finger to finger.  The installer tried to tackle each finger separately, so each finger was supershrunk (that's the best I can describe it)

8 years ago, Johnson just introduced Insulatir ceramic film, and I was one of the first group of consumers to get it installed.

From what I understand, you have to shrink the whole film evenly, not finger to finger.  The installer tried to tackle each finger separately, so each finger was supershrunk (that's the best I can describe it)

8 years ago, Johnson just introduced Insulatir ceramic film, and I was one of the first group of consumers to get it installed.

I understand where you are coming from on the shrinking evenly.  Not everyone shrinks the same way, and if he wet shrank it, then it would almost be an individual finger problem, but even other types of shrinking leave ghosting.  It's just the nature of the beast.  

You got a film at the beginning of it's production and it lasted 8 years.  That's pretty good for a new product.  

I looked at your pictures, and if all those marks were there when you had it tinted, and you didn't take it back.  Then that is your fault.  I have a problem believing all those marks just showed up recently :?  They also look like you were moving and all of your boxes scratched the crap out of the inside of the film.   

I looked at your pictures, and if all those marks were there when you had it tinted, and you didn't take it back.  Then that is your fault.  I have a problem believing all those marks just showed up recently :?  They also look like you were moving and all of your boxes scratched the crap out of the inside of the film.   

Those marks didn't show up recently. They must have been there the last couple years. I'll chalk it up to adhesive failure.

It's just interesting because I can't imagine how such marks can come about if no one has ever touched the film.

I have never seen such marks on other cars.

Perhaps these marks do exist on other cars, but are invisible because they don't have reflective material as ceramic film does.

But they definitely weren't there when the tint was newly installed.

Yeah, it does look like boxes scratched the hell out of the film, but I assure you there are no scratches, and  I have never packed anything on the rear deck.

From inside the car, the film looks clear.

From outside the car under direct sunlight, it looks nasty.

Anyhow, it's time to contact Johnson and have them make good on their warranty. I was a guinea pig for their Insulatir line and it's time for a remedy.

I will be downgrading to Silhouette dyed film since ceramic film is difficult to work with and no one seems to be able to install ceramic film properly

Archived