How do you choose your samples??

When you are looking at new film lines,,,, how do you pick a sample, to decide if you want to carry that line of film??  

Do you go by what you sell the most of ? 35%--15% etc??    Do you choose a lighter film to check clarity??  

Do you go with a medium shade to check color?  bluish--greenish etc??  

You could alway ask for a sample of all of the film they carry, but that is unlikely to happen.  Most have no problem giving you a short roll of film to try, and some don't mind giving you a few different samples.  Some will sell them to you, which is fine but could get expensive for just trying.    So what leads to your decision for a sample??    thanks  :beer 

Seems you asked a tough question there. I've never done my own thing, I have just used what I have to work with. As you can see through other threads, we all seem to have our own preference. Are you looking to upgrade or a lesser expensive option?

I thought I phrased it well. :dunno

Money isn't the issue here. So it's not necessarily about a lesser film. I was just wondering how some shops make a determination on film. There are so many quality films out there. Some people choose on color (say factory match quality). Some people choose on shrinkability. Some worry about optical clarity.

As far as longetivity, all any of us can do is hope it lasts. There's really no way to claim longetivity when manufacturers are always changing there product every other year. Better science and better products lead to all of that. I'm ok with that.

So me personally, I look at factory match color and of course shrinkability and usage. I've used a lot of films and some aren't as user friendly as others. While some have a terrible color in my opinion. If a film looks purplish off the roll in say a medium color then it's a no. While some others may not have a good neutral color for their lighter shades. And of course there is the really light quality.

I realize this might be a little bit of a deep question. BUT---

I'm not looking for long wordy answers like this one. But I'm sure some people have an opinion when choosing films. I was just trying to get a feel for what they look at.

Anyway. Thanks for reading.

I've been away from the forums for many years, still stay somewhat active with installs. I always like to touch and feel the samples, check for clarity and color looking for a neutral shade. Love to match the factory look. Just my 2 cents.

I have to like all the basics, colour, quality, clarity. I don't tend to stray to far away from recognizable brands & I do my research by contacting a number of random installers that I believe use the brand as they usually cut through the garbage & give me their honest opinion. Shrinkability yea I prefer it to reasonable throughout the range but if it's good stuff & easy to market I'll just suck it up & use it. It always helps if the manufacture has set up some marketing material to help you sell or up sell & finally I have to like the supplier! I don't just want a salesman on the phone or coming to the door, I want someone knowledgeable on the product, willing to answer any questions I have, reliable & quick to act if I experience any issues.

Not really the short answer you wanted but anyways.

Archived