How would you respond?

Any sale /warranty would go to the original purchaser only. Usually there is language in a warranty stating "non transferable".

We recently had a warranty claim on a 30+ year old resi flat glass install go through.

The custy was the original owner of the home and had all their documentation so all was good.

I suspect for a vehicle warranty "lifetime "may refer to the life of the car. Most are engineered to last 7 to 10 years.

What 30+ year old FG film had a warranty back then, that still is covered today ............ ?

!!!    :facepalm2  need a better proof reader or thinner fingers! 20 ,Twenty, Two Zero + years .

I believe it was Re35 nearl . The lowers were scratched by dog ( sorry now warranty there)and the uppers were covered as there was "some bubbling".

I did not hear what new film was chosen but the dog had passed on and the homeowner was getting up in age and wanted the glass nice again.

how does formula one deal with this? always wondered that.

Once in a Lifetime Protection

We’ll make you the promise of a lifetime! With FormulaOne High Performance Auto Tint®, we’ll safeguard the automotive film that clearly outsmarts the sun, with the only warranty equipped to do it: The FormulaOne National Manufacturer’s Warranty Program. It’s protection for life. Nothing less. So, while the ultimate automotive film on the market today is clearly helping to protect you and your family from the damaging effects of ultraviolet rays, intense heat and glare as well as potential injury from flying glass, take comfort in our ultimate warranty – The FormulaOne National Manufacturer’s Warranty! It’s the best protection around

My response would be something like this. ..We offer the most comprehensive warranty in the business. However, we are limited to the guidelines and requirements outlined by the manufacturer. The film on your car is absolutely warrantied 100% for the time the original purchaser owned the vehicle. It is not transferable or assignable to a 3rd party. And congratulations on selling your car, should you want your new one tinted, we would be happy to help you with that.

"Smooootthhhh operatooorrrrr"

Hey AW,

It is difficult to support a "lifetime warranty" when you don't believe in it 100%.

I think that "Life of ownership" is a much better term for both installer and customer.

My professional response would be as follows...

"Hi Jimmy,

These are good questions and I am glad you asked.

Firstly let me say that no window film will last forever, and "lifetime" is a term that can be interpeted in a number of ways and as different legths of time. The "lifetime warranty" is the term of the warranty simply because that what the manufacturer of the products that I install and recommend offer.

I need to take into account when pricing and installing a product to be installed on my customers vehicles, that at some point in the life of the vehicle the film will need to be replaced due to wear or if it exposed to high levels of UV and Infrared heat. When you see a good quality film go bad after a long period of time you could say 1 of 2 things to yourself...

1. That is a bad tint, and the person that installed it is also bad at tinting.

2. Look at that tint, look at what it has been through. It could be my skin or my interior that looked like that. It has absorbed and rejected heat and UV for the last 10+ years and saved me on fuel and protected myself, my occupants and my interior for all of that time without any ongoing cost.

It will be the quality of each component within the film that will determine it's lifespan, for example Jimmy... What is the point of installing a nano ceramic you bute film that has a scratch coat that only lasts 1 year? Or a twin layered metal sputtered film that is coated with a poor laminating adhesive?

So Jimmy, I draw upon my many years of research and experience to choose the products that I believe will last and maintain it"s UV and heat rejection properties throughout it's life. It is a balance and a challenge running my business, I have customers that want cheapest, and I have customers that want the best they can get. So I need to be using a range of products and believe me Jimmy, window films are not all the same. If I choose the right products that last for a long period of time, it will likely be the foundation of a long and properous business, but if I use the wrong products, it will cost me my business and I will be just another tint guy that changed his number to get out of redoing poor tint jobs.

In this industry, window tinting businesses come and go on a daily basis. The most important thing I believe you need to do when choosing a tint for your car, is to choose someone who is ethical, experienced and has been around long enough to prove that they are resilient and will be there if ever you have an issue with anything tint related.

My service and quality of workmanship should be testiment to my ethics. I would like to offer my services to you for not just a car, but to your friends and family for a "lifetime".  :grad  You can depend on me to do the right thing by my valued customers, no matter what the warranty terms state. Come down and see me and I will be more than happy to share my knowledge and show you the products that I have to offer. Looking forward to saying G'day.

All the best to you Jimmy. 

Or AW, you can say what would make you feel better...

Hey Jimmy,

Who is over 35 years old and puts his hair in a ponytail? Seriously. Your wearing a fanny pack right now arn't you?

It looks like you need to spend more money on toothpaste and facials and less money on hair products and tattoo's.

Judging from your profile picture you were dropped on your head as a kid and you never learnt to read so let me break it down.

The warranty is non transferable for many good and legitimate reasons that anyone with an IQ above 40 would understand. So I guess you just missed out.

Did you get a transferrable warranty with your hair? Or was the horse it came off not the previous owner?

I would recommend you go with the first response AW, that was my suggestion. The second response was a suggestion from a mate that was over last night for a few quiet ones.

:rest

Personally, when you offer something to a customer, even if it is the lifetime warranty, you need to back it up whether you believe it to be right or not.

Offering something (espescially a warranty period) and then trying to justify it aa not as great as you may have made it out to be can seem deceiving to a customer. I always give a realistic life expectancy for my product. Because the products I choose to use from a few manufacturers are made properly I can definitely tell the customer that the products I install have been proven to last the longest.

Lifetime warranties are great in a sense that they are manufacturer warranties. I mean, it may be dumb, but why would we care? The manufacturer pays for it, not us.... depending on who you use....

When I sell a film, I tell them, you should get a good (10 years auto, flat glass 20 years) out of this film at the least. If for whatever reason there is a problem, the manufacturer is willing to pay to have it replaced for you because they back their films.

This is a good time to probably show that the lifetime warranty does not mean it will last forever, but explain as long as you care for it, you'll never have to pay to have it redone again.

It definitely put a you above the guy who says it will last forever, when you get real with them and say do you actually believe this will last forever when it's purpose is to sacrifice itself to protect you (the occupant)

Toms response ssees like the one I'd use

Archived