Damage claims

Most glass has a stamp showing if it's tempered or laminated. You can also roll the window down and tell by looking at the top of the glass and see if there is one piece or two glued together. They are able to be tinted. Just have to take extra care when doing them.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add on "be careful " with laminated glass , particularly when it comes to heating up a spot on the window with your heat gun

Try to cover larger areas at a time with the heat gun to get a more evenly heated window, right? And as low temperature as possible.
Might it be a good idea to loosen the film or maybe even pull it away a bit from the glass while heating it?

Also, No heating from the outside after film is installed.

Laminated or tampered glass have different stamps, Pro's can recognize some/many/all of them, I don't know any yet. Stamps could also be missing entirely.
There is a test where you tap the window with a coin and you could possibly hear the difference. But again, probably not as a newbie.

There are no alternatives to shrinking the films with the heat-gun.

At least, this is what I've read so far. Please correct me if I'm wrong

:bingo I was referring to not shrinking on laminated glass but rather once tint is installed and you want to heat a certain area for contamination or fingering reasons. Just greatly ease up on the heat on laminate .

Any tips on how to not scratch glass?
Most recommend the Olfa SS, and a fresh, sharp blade, of course. How often to you break off a new blade?
I've got a few cheap disposable break-off knifes laying around (don't know if it's stainless). Someone actually said he thought those were easier than Olfa to avoid scratching. Should be fine, if i break off more often?

I made HORRIBLE scratches with my first tint. -I was careful at first but then it didn't go through the film, so I pressed harder. :facepalm2
That was an extreme, think the blade was a bit dull, had a too steep of an angle of the knife and pressed too hard, -All possible mistakes at once and around the entire window...
How hard do you press the knife? Do you put some preassure on it, or practically just let it slide?

How often do you change blade in the scraper?

Your questions can't really be just that simply answered in any other way other than this: It's a "feel" thing.

It depends on the hardness / softness of glass, angle of holding knife, pressure you put on the knife and torque of the knife ( meaning how many snap off sizes are out lengthening or shortening the overall length of blade .)

Advise: practice on an old window , always snap blade often. Breathe . Learn :thumb

Tip for scraper. LISTEN to the sound of it as it glides along the glass. It should be pretty quiet. You can hear when its not quite right

Archived