Damage claims

I know this question vastly depends on the tinter, of course :yoda
But how often do (or rather, did, before you became a skilled tinter) you get claims on damages on the cars after you've thinted them?

-I plan on starting tinting for the fun of it, mainly for friends and family but maybe also for others.
I'll probably do this basically for free, so I won't make any money of it.
So my big concern here is if I were to damage the cars in any way, since I have no real experience, for instance if windows crack because they are laminated and I didn't realize that or so..

-I won't be able to pay for those damages (not sure what incurence will cover)..
Might I just as well give this hobby up, before it really started?
How big are the risks, if I'm being a careful n00b?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't pull cars apart to tint them.  Never use a heat gun on rubber seals.  Use a fresh blade (olfa and box) (ALWAYS).  Use non-scratch scrubbing pads.  

Hmmm I can't think of anything else.  I am sure someone will add to it!

There is always some risk... but IMO if you are careful it is low!

to_be_ill.gif  My head hurts thinking about this one.  

I'm not one to discourage trying something new,,,,,, but if you can't handle(afford) the risk or the insurance,, then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

While mistakes can be minimal if you are careful.  It would be so easy to put yourself under trying to pay for "just the right mistake".

You are dealing with a person's second biggest purchase next to a house.  Not a game here.  So, please think about what you are taking on.   :twocents

Oh and never put the heat gun inside of the car.  It only takes half  a second to destroy a door panel or burn a seat or headliner.  

Thanks for all the tips!
All input is appreciated!

Thinking of retinting my own car over and over again to practice, but that kind of takes away the fun in it.

You are dealing with a person's second biggest purchase next to a house.  Not a game here.  So, please think about what you are taking on.   :twocents

Oh and never put the heat gun inside of the car.  It only takes half  a second to destroy a door panel or burn a seat or headliner.  

Yeah, I plan on just taking on older cars to begin with. If something small should happen, maybe I can get away with it. If it's something bigger, then it's cheaper to fix.

Almost did that heat-gun-mistake in my own car the other day. -Almost put it in a bad place inside the car when I realized that it probably wasn't a great idea.

Never (direct) heat laminated glass.

I've hard a lot about that, but not how to shrink without doing it? Tried searching, but most comments were like "sure you can"..
Except for trying to heat the glass evenly and not too much, any thips there?

All of the above. I'd like to add, if you're doing it for fun and not making any money on it, the custy has to know and understand that the low price comes with the possibility of damage. I wouldn't say it like that, though. I'd say "I'm looking for some vehicles to practice and learn on.".

Archived