Sputtering or Dye Bath?? Which is Better??

Okay all you tint geniuses...  

Which is better technology for quality window film??  Sputtering or Dye bath??  

Please explain your answer.   Thanks.  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greg K  I'm not sure you are correct in that statement,,,,,, but that's why we ask these questions.  

I'm pretty sure sputtering has nothing to do with the rejection or absorption of solar energy :?  That would be the products in the film performing a certain way.  

Sputtering and dye bath are used to create the film and the end result would be film that will either reject or absorb depending on the materials used in creation.  

The Tint Gurus will see this thread and explain....  I HOPE!!  :twiddlethumbs

Bham, Thanks for the feedback. Sputtering is a process where metallic particles are deposited on the film, and those particles are reflective, you can observe that the metallic film has a mirror affect, in opposition dyed film is none reflective and looks dark.

Again... I think you are little mistaken by using the term "metallic particles"...   I don't think this is specific to metallic particles, and I'm pretty sure you can make a non-reflective film with either method.   :dunno  

Tell you what... let's just wait on some answers from the guys who know how to make this stuff.  :twocents 

Sputtered film will last longer than the dyed film, because it will reject some of the sun energy , and dyed film will absorb the energy.

This statement is not correct.  Both dyed and sputtered films reject as well as absorb energy.  In addition, the level of absorbed of energy does not correlate with longevity.  Ceramics are absorbers.

Rob/Smart...  Please weigh in.

-Howard

Great question!

Dyed film (deep dye bath) vs metallized film (Sputtered / Vapor), what are the pros and cons?

Metallized films "reject" heat, much more heat rejection than dyed films.  However, they are slightly more reflective than dyed films.  Some people claim that metallized films "may" interfere with radio frequencies like cell phones and all that new technology, the density of the metal has a correlation to the perceived interference.  This will continue to be debated.  Also, heat shrinking is slightly different with metalized films and dry out time can take longer since any water left behind the film must pass through the polyester and the metal layer.

Please note that most "sputtered / metalized" films are "hybrids" in that they have one layer of metal and one layer of dye.  That dye layer can fade, but the sputter will not fade.  "HP" = High Performance which means that there is metal in the film.

There are some auto films that are 100% metalized like the HP Fusion; but these films are more reflective and dry out much longer.  They have never been very popular in the states, but the Aussies love them.

Sputtering is a process which is intended to deposit metal (or ceramic) atoms or molecules onto a thin film substrate with nano scale precision.

Dyeing is a process which is intended to reduce VLT and give color to the film.

These are two completely different processes.  You really can't say one is better than another.  A sputtered film can also be dyed (a hybrid).

You can ask:

Is sputtering better than vapor deposition?

Is dip dyeing better than coating or colored chip extrusion?

But I am not sure you can say that sputtering is better than dyeing or visa versa.

Remember that sputtered films are signal blockers, so there is a big downside for automotive use.

-Howard

Nice,, thanks guys.  And I can't wait for more on this.  :thumb  

:chin   SO,  I gotta ask....  Does Global have(use) sputtering technology??  

Archived