Starter tools

Same as cutting the back glass. Put film on the outside, make sure it is even using the factory edge and cut. Also, you might want to consider getting some sort of led shop light so you can see easier where to cut. When cutting the back glass and windshield strip, turn off the garage lights and position the shop light towards the area to be cut.

But how do you get this cut straight, the red line in the picture, do you use some sort chalk string or just free cut it? attachicon.gif2015-08-01 21.49.52.jpg
This depends on exactly how curved the glass is. If it's not that bad, factory edge in the bottom, it's already add even as you can get. HOWEVER if it's something like jeep patriots.... Put the liner on the glass, shimmy it down until the windshield has film from one side to the other. Take your blade and use 1, or 2 breakaway tips out slip it between the glass and the body just like is the top edge on roll ups. The main thing is to keep your cut here as even as you can. Take the film flip it over and it should come out looking a lot straighter than super bowed.

If I make no sense to you lemme know I'll try to make a video of it.

Video or pictures of this would be a great help. I gave up on this today.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same as cutting the back glass. Put film on the outside, make sure it is even using the factory edge and cut. Also, you might want to consider getting some sort of led shop light so you can see easier where to cut. When cutting the back glass and windshield strip, turn off the garage lights and position the shop light towards the area to be cut.

But how do you get this cut straight, the red line in the picture, do you use some sort chalk string or just free cut it? attachicon.gif2015-08-01 21.49.52.jpg
This depends on exactly how curved the glass is. If it's not that bad, factory edge in the bottom, it's already add even as you can get. HOWEVER if it's something like jeep patriots.... Put the liner on the glass, shimmy it down until the windshield has film from one side to the other. Take your blade and use 1, or 2 breakaway tips out slip it between the glass and the body just like is the top edge on roll ups. The main thing is to keep your cut here as even as you can. Take the film flip it over and it should come out looking a lot straighter than super bowed.

Video or pictures of this would be a great help. I gave up on this today.
I'll see what I can do for ya tomorrow. Got some scrap laying around still from the boss...

I sort of understand what you're saying, from what I understand is, cut one side and fold it and cut on the same line. but yes a vid will help a lot. Thank you

That's a good set of installation tools. You'll learn as time goes on what works for you and what doesn't. Such as what is necessary and what is not.

For automotive installations my tools are very basic and simple.

A 3-4 inch flared red baron squeegee for roll ups 

A orange/blue tri edge card 

A clear slammer

A red gator blade 

Back windows I use

The stroke doctor for my final squeege of back glass

Gray straight cut bulldozer with a scrubby 

Red titan

And a 5'' blue max flared with a fusion handle. (I noticed you have the handle with the metal end, I wouldn't use those anymore as if theres an accidental slip or wrong move it could tear through your tint...just my  :twocents )

Other than that you'll have your obvious essentials like an Olfa silver, a heat gun, and common sense....with a lot of patience.  :beer

That's a good set of installation tools. You'll learn as time goes on what works for you and what doesn't. Such as what is necessary and what is not.

For automotive installations my tools are very basic and simple.

A 3-4 inch flared red baron squeegee for roll ups

A orange/blue tri edge card

A clear slammer

A red gator blade

Back windows I use

The stroke doctor for my final squeege of back glass

Gray straight cut bulldozer with a scrubby

Red titan

And a 5'' blue max flared with a fusion handle. (I noticed you have the handle with the metal end, I wouldn't use those anymore as if theres an accidental slip or wrong move it could tear through your tint...just my :twocents )

Other than that you'll have your obvious essentials like an Olfa silver, a heat gun, and common sense....with a lot of patience. :beer

Thanks, yea they are inexpensive tools so like you're saying I'll have to figure out what works best, going through your list I almost don't have any of the ones you mentioned, but that's, my next order of tint I'll add those and try em out, also thanks for the advice on the blue max handle.

[emoji111] [emoji108]

Archived