Starter tools

Same as cutting the back glass. Put film on the outside, make sure it is even using the factory edge and cut. Also, you might want to consider getting some sort of led shop light so you can see easier where to cut. When cutting the back glass and windshield strip, turn off the garage lights and position the shop light towards the area to be cut.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something else to help you out if having to cut around 3rd brake lights is to keep a 20-24" film core. You can wedge it between the drivers seat and break pedal to illuminate the light giving you a better idea on where to cut without it being uneven or leaving an extra large light gap that could be seen looking from the inside out.

I use A small piece of a plastic razor blade and put it at the tip of my olfa knife when I cut the back glass this will help from etching the glass

A Titan isn't a bad tool for the back glass. Blue shop towels to wraps around a white hard card to get those edges dry when you have the film on.

White or blue non scratch scrubbing pads for cleaning the rear glass

The options are endless

lots of great advice coming your way!  I would suggest a little better heat gun than the Harbor Freight ones. Go to home Depo and pay 20 to 25 bucks and get one that will hold up to being dropped. I bought a case of the HB guns a few years back for my training classes..... didn't last the week of training!

Anything I can help you with that you cant find here just PM me.

cheers

Stan

I use A small piece of a plastic razor blade and put it at the tip of my olfa knife when I cut the back glass this will help from etching the glass

A Titan isn't a bad tool for the back glass. Blue shop towels to wraps around a white he'd card to get those edges dry when you have the film on.

White or blue non scratch scrubbing pads for cleaning the rear glass

The options are endless

What do you mean about small piece of plastic razor blade, as in getting a plastic blade and etching the glass to make a line?

Something else to help you out if having to cut around 3rd brake lights is to keep a 20-24" film core. You can wedge it between the drivers seat and break pedal to illuminate the light giving you a better idea on where to cut without it being uneven or leaving an extra large light gap that could be seen looking from the inside out.

Ah great idea Ocala I will definitely have to try that , thanks for tip.[emoji3] [emoji3]

Same as cutting the back glass. Put film on the outside, make sure it is even using the factory edge and cut. Also, you might want to consider getting some sort of led shop light so you can see easier where to cut. When cutting the back glass and windshield strip, turn off the garage lights and position the shop light towards the area to be cut.

But how do you get this cut straight, the red line in the picture, do you use some sort chalk string or just free cut it? post-39796-143849103728.jpg

lots of great advice coming your way! I would suggest a little better heat gun than the Harbor Freight ones. Go to home Depo and pay 20 to 25 bucks and get one that will hold up to being dropped. I bought a case of the HB guns a few years back for my training classes..... didn't last the week of training!

Anything I can help you with that you cant find here just PM me.

cheers

Stan

Yes you're right, right when I was about to go I did some research on those harbor freight heat guns and decided not to buy it , I'll will go invest into a good one, and thank you, for the support, man looking at your profile were neighbors. [emoji3] [emoji3]

But how do you get this cut straight, the red line in the picture, do you use some sort chalk string or just free cut it? attachicon.gif2015-08-01 21.49.52.jpg

I'd say factory edge down?

I used to, as did a lot of "old timers" :lol ,make  their own tools, when the go doctor came out , I thought why didn't I think of that :blink  ------ To me it is one of the greatest auto tools !!!!

Get some good tape for window frames, everyone has their favorites , I like the red stucco tape (home depot) once applied it has a slick surface and is fairly easy to remove. You will be getting alot more suggestion and from there find out what works best for you. Good Luck ,  :welcome to the Tint World via  TINT DUDE  :thumb

Archived