Glare strip curve tool

So in the midst of finding a better technique to have glare strips line conform to the curvature of the windscreen (as opposed to using the straight edge of the film, which then dips down on both sides of the glass looking tacky) i have come up with a drawing for a tool idea to help me cut a glare strip to almost any radius i choose, over an average windscreen length.

Before i spend some money taking this design from paper to production for myself though, i was wondering if anyone else has, or knows where to buy such a tool that can do the same thing?

My searching has so far proved fruitless, thus the endeavor to create one.

Cheers

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chappy,  There was a tool that was a 6' or longer ruler, with a wire and turnbuckle type set-up attached to it.  You used the wire to adjust and hold the correct curve, so you could move to cut board and get the exact curve you need.  

Once TintDude sees this, he will give you the link to that tool. He has it somewhere.  

Good luck with your set-up   :thumb

hi bham, that sounds similar to how i'd imagine such a tool, a link would be awesome thanks.

Basically, on paper mine is a solid spine piece (haven't worked out suitable length yet) which would have a spring steel or something similar attached parallel to the spine, with a longer overhang at each end. This flexible piece would be attached at both ends with a slotted hole. There would be an adjusting rod (screw or lock type) in the center that i screw or push in or out to suit the desired curve.

If i can't find what i am looking for and decide to make one, ill post some pics up for feedback or tips for anyone else looking for something similar

BOW-GUIDE: FOR VISORS

Here is how you can build your own Bow-Guide for just a few dollars worth of components from a hardwarestore:1) Select an aluminum strip about the same width and thickness of an aluminum yard-or meter-stick. You’ll want its length to be sufficient to cut the longest windshield strip you’ll be likely to encounter.2) Obtain a length of ¼-inch (6 mm) diameter link chain, a few inches longer than the aluminum strip.3)

Drill a 1/8-inch (3 mm) diameter hole at each end, in the center & ¾” (18 mm) from each end. Use a hacksaw to cut in slits from the end to the holes, wide enoughfor a link in the chain to fit sideways into the slots.4) Insert one end of the chain (a link or two in), then use a pop-rivet or screw to lock the chain into the slot. You now can adjust the arch of the “bow” using the chain inserted (at various lengths) into the slot at the other end.

Clean the aluminum strip thoroughly before wrapping a coloredvinyl tape completely and evenly around its bottom edge. This will provide excellent grip during the cutting operation, using this bowed aluminum strip as your blade guide. Screw or pop-rivet, to lock in one end of the chain permanently; other slot left open for chain adjustment. Colored vinyl tape to provide friction-grip on film surface—wrapped around bottom edge.

post-33743-0-49607700-1340718181.jpg

Archived