Flat Glass Work

We had a call today for a building in downtown Atlanta which right not we have appointments for just about everyday for next couple of weeks so hard to see when it can be fit into the schedule.  The person didn't have any measurements and seem not to care to get any.  So we will try to make some time to come out, but it will be a big chunk of the day just because of the traffic.

We have a Huper Optik book which includes all samples, info, etc about the window films.  So taking that out is no problem specially since we only offer the HO Ceramic or Select right now for film options.  I will be working a day to black into the schedule going forward to make the time to go do quotes.  Hopefully we will be able to train everyone to quote FG in the future, we have a huge staff just most are not trained on FG.  Like Chappy said, more money in FG so it is an obvious win.

Most the time when doing big commercial bids, you will want to offer a formal quote,not something that is hand written. Cool thing about that is you can send someone out to measure windows "as long as they are smart enough to read a tape measure" and from there you can work up your quote offering different options. If your prices are where the company wants them or if they already know what they want,you can then either meet with them or mail them the sample cards and go from there.

Most the time when doing big commercial bids, you will want to offer a formal quote,not something that is hand written. Cool thing about that is you can send someone out to measure windows "as long as they are smart enough to read a tape measure" and from there you can work up your quote offering different options. If your prices are where the company wants them or if they already know what they want,you can then either meet with them or mail them the sample cards and go from there.

That is what we do now, will email them an official invoice from our POS system.  We do not do any hand written receipts.  True, we can send someone out just to do the measurements.  Good idea.

ALWAYS have a set of eyes on the jobs you are measuring and bidding. I have seen so many mistakes over the years from owners and salesmen doing bids over the phone or email without having any idea of what you are dealing with. Customers and average Joe's DO NOT know how to measure windows or COUNT windows. I have seen so many times with individual french panes in a grid format counted as 1 window. Oh the windows are a few feet off the ground.. your installer shows up and the windows are 30 ft up. There are so many problems that can arise not seeing the job in person the list goes on and on. I can't stress enough how important it is to have someone with experience evaluating a job in person to avoid SO much lost time, aggravation, and wasted money.

ALWAYS have a set of eyes on the jobs you are measuring and bidding. I have seen so many mistakes over the years from owners and salesmen doing bids over the phone or email without having any idea of what you are dealing with. Customers and average Joe's DO NOT know how to measure windows or COUNT windows. I have seen so many times with individual french panes in a grid format counted as 1 window. Oh the windows are a few feet off the ground.. your installer shows up and the windows are 30 ft up. There are so many problems that can arise not seeing the job in person the list goes on and on. I can't stress enough how important it is to have someone with experience evaluating a job in person to avoid SO much lost time, aggravation, and wasted money.

:bingo  :yeah And don't hesitate to take on a small job. Simply fit it into an already-going-that-way slot on the calendar. Most peeps appreciate a contractor that is willing to. Small jobs have the potential to lead to bigger jobs, whether the client liking and choosing to do more or their referral of you being the only one to take the time to come out for a small job.  :thumb

If I had to quess, I would say 80%+ we never see the project before we show up to do it.

I never give a quote on site unless it's like a door.

Bring a good tape measure that is designed to be extended out a lot without "breaking"

Wear a Polo type shirt.

Have a low e meter.

Measure each window cause some might be 58 wide and some 61.

Look for time consuming variables.

Have extra business cards cause onlookers always ask if you do cars.

Have an extra tape measure if you leave yours there and have more bids after.LOL

Archived