New to PPF

I've been detailing for over 20 years on a part time basis. I've watched probably all the videos on PPF installation on Youtube over the last 2 months or so. I'm interested in adding this to my detailling. I have purchased some  Xpel ULTIMATE and have been practicing on my old daily driver. I can see my technique improving each time, and as I become more familiar with the film as to what I need to do to get a real nice installation. In the begining, I didn't use enough slip solution which was one of my big problems, and my samples showed it. I know with everything in life, you must first learn how to walk before you can run.

My next step is to install a kit. Partial hood, bumper, and fenders. I looked at Xpel's website. Their kits for the most part are around $600

That's a lot of money at this point to further my technique. The bulk film is cheaper,  but I don't want to worry about cutting on the car at this point. Is there anyone on the forum selling kits that is more affordable ?

From what I've read here, I'm leaning towards the appeal of Suntek. The simple reason, I don't like the orange peel look of the Xpel ultimate.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think Xpel is orange peeley then you haven't used it much.

Xpel does have a grainy look to it. As explained by xpel to me at sema, the reasoning is because of thickness and quantity of material and adhesive. I also believe suntek looks more optically clear than any other film on the market. But both are good films and each has pros and cons

Hi detailgal,

Welcome to the forum!!

You should have visited the recent SEMA Show. The window films exhibitors were focused on introducing their PPF as there are few breakthroughs in tints now.

Generally, (just generally), the new generation of PPFs are supposed to turn yellow at a slower pace and self-healing.

However, the bulk of these top-notch PPFs will likely to come with CAP-Sheet to better support precut-systems, protect finishings and sensitive Top-coats. As you are new, it is easier to get yourself familiarized with PPF with CAP-sheet. Some experienced installers from where i am from, feel that the CAP-sheet slows them down, but I think it boils down to individuals. What matters most, is a perfect wrap done. :thumb

Hi detailgal,

Welcome to the forum!!

You should have visited the recent SEMA Show. The window films exhibitors were focused on introducing their PPF as there are few breakthroughs in tints now.

Generally, (just generally), the new generation of PPFs are supposed to turn yellow at a slower pace and self-healing.

However, the bulk of these top-notch PPFs will likely to come with CAP-Sheet to better support precut-systems, protect finishings and sensitive Top-coats. As you are new, it is easier to get yourself familiarized with PPF with CAP-sheet. Some experienced installers from where i am from, feel that the CAP-sheet slows them down, but I think it boils down to individuals. What matters most, is a perfect wrap done. :thumb

Hi fat cat. Thanks for the response. Unfortunately with my 9-5 job, I couldn't take any time off to attend the SEMA show. I wish I was there to see all of the exhibitors PPF offerings. Yes, my goal is to become more familiar with some of the better quality PPF that's available. Hopefully my next step will be to try to install a kit with the Suntek to see what it looks like as well as how it feels installing it. So far I've only experimented with XPEL.  

Would you know who may sell SUNTEK kits at a reasonable price ?

Thanks

I would suggest that now you have some experience in ppf you should look to go on a course. It will be cheaper and quicker in the long run.

Steve 

Hi Steve, Yes, I'm looking into course dates as well. 3M seems to have several going on. I'm thinking the 3M course should transfer over pretty easily no matter what PPF we install. I would think I might have to tweek a few things for each and every brand ?

Archived