New to PPF

Would you know who may sell SUNTEK kits at a reasonable price ?

Thanks

I am not sure if Ebay is a good idea, please compare the Suntek prices there. Please check if the Suntek PPFs are coated, uncoated or with CAP-sheet.

Sidetrack: before the completion of Eastman acquisition, container-loads of first-generation Suntek PPF were dumped into Northeast Asia at extremely low prices.

Anyway, if you are getting a small quantity, bear in mind that, shipping costs from any cheaper supplier will be also significant. When you own your shop, I think you can access to more sample PPF at trial-prices or free.

I feel that Avery has the best PPF against yellowing. Many big names (not Suntek) turn yellows within a year. However, from where I am from, Avery does not offer a CAP-sheet variant.

Thanks for the response. I've seen some post pertaining to the "CAP-sheet"  Some of the posts said they have seen tunneling on the 60" rolls with CAP-sheet. These posts were a few years ago. So, I'm a little confused. Did the manufacturers who use CAP-sheets rectify this problem ?

Tunneling usually happens when the film isn't wound tight on the roll either from the supplier or after you have cut a kit. 

Steve 

:yeah

Thanks Steve. Good to know. These are the small things new people would never know. I'll keep this in mind and be on the look-out before I install.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALL films have a cap sheet applied during the laminating stage in manufacturing, protecting the product before it has fully cured.  Some film companies choose to remove the cap sheet at a later stage to make for easier product handling and to serve as an additional checkpoint in the QC process.  Removing the cap allows for greater scrutiny on catching topcoat defects.

ALL films have a cap sheet applied during the laminating stage in manufacturing, protecting the product before it has fully cured.  Some film companies choose to remove the cap sheet at a later stage to make for easier product handling and to serve as an additional checkpoint in the QC process.  Removing the cap allows for greater scrutiny on catching topcoat defects.

Thanks for the insight Jeff. That makes sense that the quality of the top coat could be seen when the CAP sheet is removed.

To add to Jeff, it not only allows to check for top coat defects, but just defects in general. PPF is a very scrutinized product so anyway to catch problems before they get to the installer prevents problems down the road with warranty issues from either installers or customers. There are benefits to keeping the cap sheet on as well so there is some give and take. There is no perfect film out there, just a perfect film for your preference. 

To add to this most defects will not be visible until the film is on the car even without a cap sheet.

Unless film manufacturers start using a coloured backing sheet.

So it's largely academic either way most manufacturers have done it both ways at varying times.

Archived